Random Columns?

Graham Wakefield

Freshman
Jan 11, 2011
This is a little bit of a mystery to me because I have no idea what these boxes are. They were something a friend had in their basement when they moved and they have no idea how they got there, or what they were. I volunteered to hold onto them until I could decide if they were best headed to the dump, or somewhere else
There are no model numbers or other info on the speakers but they do remind me a little of vocal master columns, the one thing that they do have is a badge on the grille that says "EMC Solid State"
are they anything or were they just a pile of crap music store speaker/radioshack box?
Here are 2 pictures, one of the pair and another of just one speaker, sorry for the bad cell phone pictures

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    517.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 0
Re: Random Columns?

I "think" they were a Music store type speaker from the 70's. But that was a while ago, so my memory may be off!

EMC was a guitar amp manufacturer in Cleveland, Ohio who started up, as did many others, after the "British Invasion" and subsequent "let's start a band in the garage" boom of the 1960s. They had national distribution by the early 70s but faded shortly thereafter.

Like many guitar amp manufacturers they also produced a line of PA gear. Your columns probably appear in this catalog, which is online but password protected at http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_ampgear_emc.htm

Attachments

• thumb_1974emc_ampgear.jpg
    thumb_1974emc_ampgear.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0

Well after some time with them, cleaning them out, and hooking them up they sound decent for being from the 70's. Plus being powered by a vocal master head has to count for something right? I'm cleaning them up a little more and I figure i'll have something cool for the living room if nothing else. Pictures to come when they are truly done.

EMC was a guitar amp manufacturer in Cleveland, Ohio who started up, as did many others, after the "British Invasion" and subsequent "let's start a band in the garage" boom of the 1960s. They had national distribution by the early 70s but faded shortly thereafter.

Like many guitar amp manufacturers they also produced a line of PA gear. Your columns probably appear in this catalog, which is online but password protected at http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_ampgear_emc.htm
Nice,
thanks for the history/background. it looks like they might be a somewhat interesting find after all. I wish those catalogs weren't password protected though, it would be cool to see what the whole system was.