Rane CP64 how does this ground?

Lisa Lane-Collins

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Have the manual but the information either isn't in there, or I'm failing to process (or just plain impatient, you'd think this would be in the quick start seeing as failure to do so appears to render the unit useless).

How do I ground it? I assume I put one end of my ground wire under the screw but don't know where to put the other end on account of this isn't car audio!! Is it as simple as attaching the other end to the body of the rack case? Is that safe?
(Looks like this)Rane_CP64 004.jpg

Attachments

• rane.jpg
    rane.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1
Re: Rane CP64 how does this ground?

Hello from North Side

Manual - page 5

 Chassis Ground Screw provides a convenient earth (technical) ground connection point. The CP 64 does not ground the chassis
through the power cord. It is important that the unit be grounded.
 POWER jack accepts the cable from a Rane RS 1 remote power supply (included). This is not a telephone jack. Use of a supply not
approved by Rane may damage your unit and void the warranty.

Inputs and outputs seem to have balanced connectors with hot-cold-ground

YES - one end goes in RANE ground screw - the other end on ground pin of following amp or something nearby - the rack case is connected to the shell of RANE anyway. It might well be, that you do not need that extra wire at all or it may even produce hum.

Experience - let us know what happens.

Som moro

Last edited:
Re: Rane CP64 how does this ground?

Have the manual but the information either isn't in there, or I'm failing to process (or just plain impatient, you'd think this would be in the quick start seeing as failure to do so appears to render the unit useless).

How do I ground it? I assume I put one end of my ground wire under the screw but don't know where to put the other end on account of this isn't car audio!! Is it as simple as attaching the other end to the body of the rack case? Is that safe?
(Looks like this)View attachment 13410

I think the unit you have requires an 18 volt AC centre tapped input. The power supply unit is the RS1 http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/rs1dat.pdf It’s double insulated and does not require an earth.http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/571-RaneCP64SpecSheet.pdf