Ratchet straps?

Re: Ratchet straps?

It looks like the webbing straps are used to bind the aluminum base plates to the truss segment that the base plate rests against. (As opposed to the plates being bolted or otherwise clamped to the truss member.). Gosh, I hope I'm wrong. Yikes! Mark C.

It looks like the webbing straps are used to bind the aluminum base plates to the truss segment that the base plate rests against. (As opposed to the plates being bolted or otherwise clamped to the truss member.). Gosh, I hope I'm wrong. Yikes! Mark C.

I also hope you are wrong, but that would be my guess ... + 1 "Yikes!"

....and what is the top strap doing(?), that may be another "Yikes!!"

Since it hasn't been lifted off the ground yet, could they be holding things in place while the more permanent fasteners are put in place?

When I was in construction that was a common practice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

The strap around the vertical post the gable connects to appear to be what is holding the gable truss in place. YIKES.

The strap around the base plate appears to be what is holding it to the lower chord; as pictured I see no menas of connecting the plate to the truss. I can think of a couple of ways to do it that involve rated hardware instead of yellow straps...

Finally the 2 guys in the picture... the guy on the left strikes me as the "band guy" who's explaining to the roof owner on the right, that he's not letting the band on stage and the owner is about to have an aneurism.

Finally the 2 guys in the picture... the guy on the left strikes me as the "band guy" who's explaining to the roof owner on the right, that he's not letting the band on stage and the owner is about to have an aneurism.

A few observations;

The roof appears purpose built. It has self climbing corner blocks and uprights. Not the usual euro triangle truss and genie towers you see on hombrew roofs. Aside from the ratchets, the rest of the hardware also looks like it was designed to be part of the roofing system.

The ratchets and truss look brand new, so somebody just purchased this system

It's the kind of spigot truss that uses couplers and pins. I don't think I've seen this in any domestic roofs from Thomas or applied.

There appears to be no urgency in the picture. There is nobody in the background working on the roof and no trucks of deck or lighting waiting to load in. I'm thinking maybe someone just bought this roof and is doing a trial run with it.

Are those your suspicions Shane?

A few observations;
Are those your suspicions Shane?

No, I was kind of echoing mark's thoughts of how they plan to bolt up the aluminum plates (both the. Base plates and the 45 deg swing plates) on the end upright to the horizontal truss. I also don't think this is a new purchase as it was found in a thread for an ongoing annual gig that is put on. I hope that not how it goes up... Sheesh

Last edited:

It's the kind of spigot truss that uses couplers and pins. I don't think I've seen this in any domestic roofs from Thomas or applied.

Scarier still: It's the kind of truss with no internal cross pieces, meaning there is one direction where it can easily collapse on itself. There are no connections between diagonally opposing chords to be seen anywhere. There aren't even plates or cross pieces at the ends of the truss sections.

in the larger roof structures you generally don't find interior cross pieces in anything but the towers. Tomcat's roofs only have them in the uprights not in any of the sides or in the arch.

I would think that guy would need all the ratchet straps available on hand just to keep his pony tail in check. His buddy looks impressed.

thomas d.

I just want to know how, why and where this photo was taken. How could someone let pictures of this be taken? Why was this photo taken, like for an article on bad practices? Where on earth was it taken - perhaps outside the warehouse?

Just seems illogical to me.

It looks like it's from this article, in Lancaster, PA, from just over 4 years ago:
http://lancasteronline.com/news/cou...cle_305616bd-e07f-5e58-bb21-248eee477b08.html

Apparently the roof in question belongs to Illusion Sound & Light, out of Ephrata, PA. This photo isn't on their website though, go figure.
http://www.illusionsoundandlight.com/index.htm

The rigging in most of the photos on their website look good. There were a couple of suspicious looking rigging situations mixed in there, but nothing crazy. It looks like a fairly large and established company, so there must be more to the story.