Rcf fd 12-a

Aaron McQueen

Freshman
Dec 23, 2011
I went to my local music store to listen to some powered 12" power speakers. They had these on special, and I thought they sounded fantastic. Better than the QSC K12 in a side by side comparison in the store. My problem is that I'm having trouble finding any information on them, even on the RCF website. The HD 12-A was right next to them in the store but were much more, almost 2x as much. The salesman said the difference was that the HD had a 2" horn, but that doesn't match the RCF website, which lists the HD 12-A as a 1" horn. There is a HD 32-A with a 2" horn. Anybody know about the RCF FD 12-A speakers?

Re: Rcf fd 12-a

Not specific to these models - read the fine print on horn size. Sometimes throat diameter is used, sometimes diaphragm diameter, to get a larger number. Larger being better and all...

I just bought these online and received them yesterday. The paperwork that came with the speakers list the LF as 12”, 2.5 v.c and the HF as 1”, 1.4 v.c. Other than that the difference from the HD seems to be power which is 300 low and 100 hi for the FD. Also the crossover point is 1700 for the FD and 1600 for the HD.

I’m buying these to replace my unreliable SRM 450v2. They seem to be as loud as the SRM’s but with much cleaner mid-range and much tighter base, especially at high volume. Overall to my ears they sound much more “high-fidelity”. Of course I’ve only used them in my living room not in the real world yet.

I’ll be using them this weekend for a talent and variety show in a small setting with about 100 people. Then in a few weeks will be using them in a small outdoor amphitheater singer song writer style with 150 people. I’ve run both of these shows many times with the 450’s and will be able to compare the difference between the 450's and the RCF's. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff

Not a lot out there about this speaker so I'll give my thoughts after using them this weekend. Doing a talent/variety show with kids in a 60' by 80' room with high ceilings about 100 people. I've done this show several years in a row with the Mackie Srm450v2. Easy show for both speakers. What the Rcf's had over the Srm's was clarity and headroom. The Rcf's were much easier to EQ and the headroom before feedback was unbelievable. This is a small room with lots of reflective surfaces. Most of the kids don't hold the mic close enough so I have to push the gain to get volume. The Srm's would feed back pretty quickly in this environment but the Rcf's were happy with tons of gain.

I've only used the Rcf's once in the real world but so far I'm happy. At least I don't have to worry about the Rcf's going out in the middle of a show like the Srm's have. I'll post again once I've used the Rcf's a bit more.

Jeff