RCF HDL6a over Yorkville LS2100P

Paschall Leus

Freshman
Aug 20, 2013
Looking at an install for a room that is about 80' wide and 50' deep. Maybe 200 people, max.

Would 4 RCF HDL6a over 1 Yorkville LS2100P per side cover that?

I've heard the Yorkvilles, but not the RCFs. Any experience with these speakers here?

Yes, although it really doesn't tell you anything more than vertical coverage. The HDL6 is not in EASE. The Yorkville subs aren't in EASE either.
HDL6 Splay.PNG

I'm really looking for peoples experiences with these speakers. Do they sound good? Would those tops and subs work well together?

Yes, although it really doesn't tell you anything more than vertical coverage. The HDL6 is not in EASE. The Yorkville subs aren't in EASE either.
View attachment 208664

I'm really looking for peoples experiences with these speakers. Do they sound good? Would those tops and subs work well together?
I've heard them, they're not bad.

However - 4/hang is not a line array, and anything more than speech and very light music will need more SPL and low mids than they can provide. I heard an 8 box hang and at 60' - it sounded decent as long as you didn't turn up the volume very far. I would look at 8 boxes per hang minimum.

The EAW Radius array next to it sounded much better, especially at higher SPL. I'd still plan on 8 boxes minimum of Radius (RSX208L).

The bigger question - why not a good point source speaker per side instead? Too-few, too-small line array boxes typically screams "Point Source time!".

What would be a good point source speaker with coverage near 100x40? Or would you splay two boxes per side horizontally?
I'd question the 40 vertical - the center of the pattern is aimed at the farthest listener. 60x60, 120x60, 90x60 are more common.

Fulcrum DX1226FP, pair of Danley SM60F's, pair of SH50's, d&b 24S-D, would all outperform 4/hang of those boxes by quite a bit.

If not tight packed, the Martin CDD 12 or CDD 15 are worth a close look. The asymmetric pattern helps front to rear coverage slightly as well as eliminates dead spots at the front. They sound better than their price point suggests.

Whatever you consider - make sure to model first. The CDD speakers have Ease Focus 3 (free), Danley speakers have Direct (free), and d&b has ArrayCalc (free).

What is the opinion here of the JBL VRX boxes? My understanding of the "curved array" systems are they are more like modular point source systems. Would that perform better in this situation than only 4 boxes of a true line array? Seems like they are designed to be used in 3-4 boxes per side configurations.

What about 4 JBL VRX928LA over a JBL SRX828SP per side? A Crown XTi 6002 per side for power.

I've used the JBL simulation tool and it looks like it should work. I'd still like to model them in Ease Focus but I don't think JBL publishes GLL files for their speakers.

Why the fascination with "vertical arrays"?

A "dash" is a short line and for your money you'll get better results from a conventional point source system. The dash arrays don't result in a multiplication of performance for the multiplication of price.

As to the VRX - disclosure, I manage a 90% JBL shop with 6-figure investment in VerTec and related models. I'd not buy VRX. The more I hear them the more I dislike them and other brands of similar design, especially for the cost involved. They all exhibit inconsistent horizontal coverage vs. frequency and I can plainly hear it in the vocal range when I walk a room.

Also these are constant curvature arrays and those have their own limitations. Your suggestion of 4/side means you have 60 degree vertical coverage so either you spray the ceiling with coverage (who's seated up there?) or you have the bottom box pointed mostly at the floor. Neither are desirable.