RCF NX15 Driver Replacement

Ola Dimeji

Nov 27, 2019
London
Hello there, warrantee on my RCF NX15 speaker just runs out and i was told to pay £671 for the drivers replacement.
Can someone put me through on how to replace it as it is coaxial neodymium transducer speaker and i find it difficult to handle.Thanks

Problem is, that these Coax for the NX series have 4Ohm. AFAIK, they are not available as a normal replacement off the shelf. £671 is of course a bad joke. These coax drivers are nothing special, they should be way cheaper. Mybe try a different RCF distributor or send RCF Italy an email.

Reactions: Ola Dimeji
Hi Ola,
What is the actual problem with the driver? Are you sure that you need to completely replace it rather than repair?
Also, I would make sure that you don't have a problem elsewhere in the power/dsp of the box, as the limiting in these would normally make it pretty hard to blow up the driver. If you have a problem there, you might replace the driver only to have the problem happen again.

Thanks Jeff, it has been confirmed that i need to change the driver,but they are charging me ridiculously. (£671).
I would not mind to learn how to replace driver now..really desperate

Some of those RCF drivers are quite expensive. £671 may seem high, but it is not that out of range with what I see other higher quality RCFs selling for.... For instance the CX15N351 (which I assume your driver is somewhat similar to, aside from being 4 vs 8ohms), is listed at $915USD and for comparison a Radian 5215BeNeo is $1160USD.

Some of those RCF drivers are quite expensive. £671 may seem high, but it is not that out of range with what I see other higher quality RCFs selling for.... For instance the CX15N351 (which I assume your driver is somewhat similar to, aside from being 4 vs 8ohms), is listed at $915USD and for comparison a Radian 5215BeNeo is $1160USD.

Hi Jeff,
The NX15SMA uses something closer in spec to the CX15N251 (2.5" VC on the 15", 1.7" VC for the HF), which is priced at only £258 in the UK: Link.
That's less than 40% of what Ola has been quoted for the model-specific replacement, which is presumably what's driving his frustration.

Even if it were the -351 variant, that is advertised at £359, just over half: Link.

FWIW,
David.

Edit - un-buggered link formatting

Have you looked into a recone kit ? Or is there a problem with a cracked or dislodged magnet ?
Most driver unless they're cheaper, which this one isn't, have recone kits available.
If you have a choice go with the "drop in" kit so you don't have all the extra stuff to worry about glueing.
In comparison, generally a recone kit hovers between $100-$200 max, maybe a bit more if getting right from manufacturer.
Do a search for the model of the driver, not the cabinet. The reconing if doing yourself is more just intimidating than hard.
There's some crossover models from RCF to Martin, etc. where there's two possible factory numbers
Paul

Hello,Jeff,David and Paul,
All your advises are encouraging to do more research about the speakers, i'm actually in negotiation with somebody if he can show me stuffs about the driver, the lad is in to repairing and replacing speakers.I will rather learn to repair or replace than to be sending in speakers and paying lots.
Please i will appreciate any link or company to learn how to repair and replace a driver, that's actually my next move in my career now, pls do help.
Thanks again for your advise and assistance.