Recommended

Ryan Lantzy

Junior
Jan 10, 2011
Allegheny Mountains
While on travel for work this week I tore one of the squishy foam eartips for my Etymotic hf3s. I was sad. Anyway, since I couldn't find replacement tips anywhere, I picked these up for $19 at Best Buy. I just needed something for the flight home.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-EX37B/BLK Earbud Style Headphones: Electronics

All I can say is well done Sony. Cheap, and they sound great. I found them to be more comfortable with the cord facing up coming out of my ear and wrapping it around the top of my ear between the ear and head. Bass response is amazing. I'm not a '"base head" (I swear!) but these were the first in-ear headphones that I actually thought their might be a subwoofer in the room somewhere.

Some might not like that. It takes about 4-5 dB of boost between 40 and 60 Hz to get my hf3s to sound similar. I'm not sure which is better, you'd probably have to ask the mastering engineer for the tracks I was listening to.

However, auditioning The Rippingtons' 'Let it Ripp' on these, it definitely sounded right, with a nice tight kick drum and no booming or droning bass notes. With something more electronic, like Ronald Jenkees, the bass is maybe a tad too much.

Isolation is definitely no where near as good as the what the foam eartips from Etyomotic provide, but not terrible. The cord is chincy, but the light weight helps comfort. The Sony rubber/silicone eartips leave my ears feeling fatigued after about an hour or so, but are manageable even on a long flight with some adjustments.

Anyway, IMHO they are a solid buy for under $20. They also come in yellow, red, and blue for you stylish types.