Redundant Recording with an X32 ?

Doug Lippincott

Freshman
Apr 23, 2014
So. Calif.
I've been booked for a 1-off concert this Friday to mix FOH, and also to provide tracking for someone else to mix-down later. I've tracked before using my laptop with Reaper and a USB connection, but there have been a few glitches, and my confidence is not 100%. Because the tracks are so important to my client, and he's hiring a camera crew, I'd like to be able to use a second laptop for recording redundancy. Has anyone done this before? Maybe with a USB hub? I also have an X32 Rack that I know could do what I need using AES50 to tie it to the mix console, but space to transport everything in one load would be an issue.

I have redundancy with my setup, but I also use a MADI card and Digigrid MGB with a Soundgrid network. Looks like your cheapest option is to use your second console via your AES50 B port and use its USB port for your second computer. Else, you'll want to look at a DN9650 or Dante card/switch.

Since just an MGB is $1700, this doesn't seem like a real cheap approach. Very cool, but not inexpensive. Cheapest/smallest would be X32 Core, but if I pull the X32 rack out of it's portable rack, I should be able to get it to fit in one load and cost will be $0. Thanks for confirming what I already thought to be the case, that a cheap USB hub wasn't going to do the trick. Probably good to have X32R as a backup for main console in any case. (That was one of my reasons for buying it.)