Remote mixing a StudioLive 24.4.2 with an iPad.

Rob Gow

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2011
Set up for wireless mixing via iPad

First "real" gig where I was wandering out and about. No dropouts or whatever. Man I just would wander back to the mixer, mainly to make sure no one was around it, and a bit out of guilt. I'm the sound guy, I guess I should be by the board.

Figured out how to label channels in VSL, which were then automatically transferred to the pad. The really nice thing was, I just plugged everything in, turned it on, and it worked. No fiddling with connecting to the proper network or anything. Budda bing, budda boom, good to go.

A few pics of my setup...

2d6e916b.jpg

63f7acbe.jpg

9f37fd09.jpg

ccbfb51d.jpg

ba58d5a6.jpg

And a quick video. No real mixing going on, as I was holding the iPhone in one hand, and the iPad in the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbs0N2WEFjUp

And another video of me messing around at home with the iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te54l6mswME

oh yeah, my FOH/monitor setup...

Yorkville U15's over LS800p's
YX12's for monitors...

49da7c8c.jpg

Re: Remote mixing a StudioLive 24.4.2 with an iPad.

Eventually you'll put the board behind the stacks where it is safer, you'll leave your snake at home, and you'll never worry about where to run the snake and how lousy the FOH position is.

The freedom is wonderful.

I've been doing exactly that. But keeping the band's hands off the mixer is the next challenge...

As far as the iPad app, it's great. When it works. Don't let the iPad go to sleep and you're usually good. But still, sometimes the app decides to hang, and you have to do a forced quit (go home, double tap home, press and hold the app to quit it, relaunch, yada yada.) So far, I've been able to deal with it, but if the app decided to quit at some critical juncture, it would cause a major problem. So far my iPad mixing has been non critical stuff, where if I didn't make a change to the mix right now, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Used the setup for several shows. No issues. Lock out your board and settings can't be changed by another party. Get a slip over cover to protect the board when you're away from it.