Repairing HF Driver Buzz…

Nimrod Webber

Freshman
Jan 17, 2011
Israel
boniton.co.il
Hi, here is a review of a problem I found in some of my HF drivers, and its repair.

I have these Eminence NSD2005 Neodymium 1" HF drivers in my top cabs. Lately I have noticed a strange kind of HF buzz added to the normal output of some of the drivers.
I naturally suspected something may have failed in the drivers. Being a careful (and the only) operator of the system I was very curious as to what may have failed so I pulled them out for inspection.

On the bench, fed from a sine generator I noticed that the buzz only appears at some frequencies and only starts at a certain level.
I used TrueRTA scope function to view the output of the driver as picked up by a measurement mic.

As the signal level was increased (at the offending frequencies) the waveform switched from nice and 'pure' sine, to an ugly and distorted wave.

This is what it looked (and sounds…) like above a certain (low) level:
HigherLevelDistortedWave.jpg

I then opened the driver and closely inspected every part.
To my surprise, all looked in mint condition. gap and everything was clean. nothing loose, broken, burned or damaged in any way.

I was puzzled. There was defiantly something faulty causing this added distortion but it wasn't one of the 'usual' suspects.

I then noticed, as I was re-closing the back cover, that there wasn't any fastening feeling when tightening the cover bolts.
They just threaded nicely till the end of their travel and would reach a dead stop at the end.

I checked the packing spacer that sits between the membrane ring and the back cover and noticed it was completely pressed and lost its softness.
Measuring the actual space that this packing spacer was supposed to fill, I found it was in fact too thin.
The back cover is designed in such a way that its outer structure sits against the face of the membrane aligning ring,
so that when the above mentioned gasket is pressed and becomes too thin, it no longer presses the membrane ring and this enables the outer ring of the membrane to rattle.

I made an alternative packing gasket out of thicker 0.7mm cardboard. Re assembled the driver and the buzzing disappeared. The driver now sounds smooth and clean throughout its usable range.

Here is the original (pressed) gasket:
HFDriverRepair012.jpg

This is the new one:
HFDriverRepair013.jpg

Here in place, before closing the back cover:
HFDriverRepair014.jpg

I now have another 11 to upgrade…

N.W.

Re: Repairing HF Driver Buzz…

Interesting. Since it looks like the stock ring is ~1/2 the thickness of the cardboard one, perhaps you could take the stock ring from half of the drivers and just double them up. Then just make cardboard spacers for the remaining drivers.

This falls into the "hassle the manufacturer" category. They might have had a bad run or something.
Probably so. I got these (new) about four years ago and I imagine this problem would appear in other drivers of the same production batch, or in even in bigger numbers if they are still manufactured/assembled with the same 'shrinking' packing gasket.

I guess Eminence should really be addressed about this, though if their approach will be to just replace said gasket with a new one of the same kind, this will only buy you another 3 - 4 years until the new gasket squashes and the problem appears again...

For me (being in my location with no local Eminence rep or dealer),
repairing by myself seems the quickest and most practical way.

Probably so. I got these (new) about four years ago and I imagine this problem would appear in other drivers of the same production batch, or in even in bigger numbers if they are still manufactured/assembled with the same 'shrinking' packing gasket.

I guess Eminence should really be addressed about this, though if their approach will be to just replace said gasket with a new one of the same kind, this will only buy you another 3 - 4 years until the new gasket squashes and the problem appears again...

For me (being in my location with no local Eminence rep or dealer),
repairing by myself seems the quickest and most practical way.

Nimrod,

Could just take the screws out one at a time, belt sand a millimeter off, clean and replace ?

Nimrod,

Could just take the screws out one at a time, belt sand a millimeter off, clean and replace ?

The issue is not with the bolts being too long. Even when fully bolted, there is still sufficient thread in the holes.
The problem is the packing gasket that has lost its thickness, and because the back cover already sits against the alignment plate and the Neo ring, there isn't sufficient pressure to hold down the membrane assembly.

If the back cover screws are too long they would bottom out in the threads most likely hitting the magnet and not letting the back cover draw down on the diaphragm/shim. Another thing to look at, does the back cover come in contact with outer edge of the magnet not letting it fully seat.