Ridiculous car audio project

Brian Frost

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
www.narniaproductions.com
I am building a racecar of sorts for a redbull like event. The car will be designed with a costume of ride of the valkaries. Think apocalypse now. Trying to keep this cheap but the idea is to make the outside look like a huey helecopter and hide speakers in the panels. I want it to be loud and efficient, sound quality is of much lower importance. what about using horns like at a high school football stadium? what other speaker ideas might be fun for this project.

Its important that they be cheap, and loud.
Thanks for your ideas

Re: Ridiculous car audio project

that might work. we are entering a car in 24 hours of Lemons, a play on Le Mans. Its cheap cars racing for 24 hours.

Have you ever run audio through the sirens? what kind of power are they looking for? Impedance?
Im interested.

Hey Brian,

We have what actually goes on helicopters. It's loud and efficient (in the voice band). Also sounds good. Not cheap! 8O~8-O~:shock:

I might be reading the OP wrong, but I think he's looking for speakers that will be used to simulate the sound of a helicopter flying, not a helicopter making announcements.

To the OP. How about a few stadium/train station 70v horns and an old-style folded horn mid bass like a Peavey FH1? This in combination with a Waves MaxxBCL processor may work.

I might be reading the OP wrong, but I think he's looking for speakers that will be used to simulate the sound of a helicopter flying, not a helicopter making announcements.

To the OP. How about a few stadium/train station 70v horns and an old-style folded horn mid bass like a Peavey FH1? This in combination with a Waves MaxxBCL processor may work.

Actually we are playing Ride of the Valkaries from a reel to reel a la Apocalypse Now helicopter/surfing scene from a car dressed up as a helicopter racing around a track for 24 hours. Sound will be outside the car for the entertainment or displeasure of everyone else.

Actually we are playing Ride of the Valkaries from a reel to reel a la Apocalypse Now helicopter/surfing scene from a car dressed up as a helicopter racing around a track for 24 hours. Sound will be outside the car for the entertainment or displeasure of everyone else.

Ah, gotcha. I thought you wanted to simulate the "rotors-flapping-Vietnam-War-movie-style"-sound.

Hi Brian,

How about one of these options? They look fairly inexpensive and simple. They have auxiliary inputs, and I'd suggest a cheap MP3 player so you can avoid skipping CD's under the vibration and abuse of racing conditions.

https://www.audiolinks.com/AmpliVoxSoundCruisers.shtml

If you ever need mil-spec, high-output, and can drop big $ on it:

Technomad Vehicle Mounted PA Systems | Mobile Vehicle Sound Systems | Paging Systems for training, crowd control, PSYOPS

If you want to search for more options, these types of PA's are known as "loud hailer" systems.

I love the links! tho even $600 is too much for this particular one day project. I might have sourced some old 70v paging horns that a local military installation used for outdoor paging over a large area which are now sitting idle. Will try to rip the transformers off and see how they sound.

We are using a reel to reel for playback btw!
Frost

Hi Brian,

How about one of these options? They look fairly inexpensive and simple. They have auxiliary inputs, and I'd suggest a cheap MP3 player so you can avoid skipping CD's under the vibration and abuse of racing conditions.

https://www.audiolinks.com/AmpliVoxSoundCruisers.shtml

If you ever need mil-spec, high-output, and can drop big $ on it:

Technomad Vehicle Mounted PA Systems | Mobile Vehicle Sound Systems | Paging Systems for training, crowd control, PSYOPS

If you want to search for more options, these types of PA's are known as "loud hailer" systems.

I love the links! tho even $600 is too much for this particular one day project. I might have sourced some old 70v paging horns that a local military installation used for outdoor paging over a large area which are now sitting idle. Will try to rip the transformers off and see how they sound.

be sure to double check if they need capacitors or an HPF before hooking them up!

Jason