Roland digital

Steve Tarak

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Indy
I'm considering my options for a digital mixer. I've studied the LS9, O1v96, Presonus, and and now looking at the Roland M300. If any of you own or have had experience with this board, please share your thoughts. Appreciate and value your input.

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Roland digital

While I haven't had experience with the M300, I have however had experience M400 and was not impressed. There were some issues with a couple channels randomly dropping really low and then really high in volume - Roland claimed to have no idea about it and just said ''oh update the firmware'', which did nothing. My other complaint was the EQ, it just didn't seem to sound right.

I'd highly recommend the 01v96 if you're on a budget. It's so close in price to the PreSonus and yet has more channels, motorized faders, and far more features.

My .02

open to new or used gear Dick, focus is getting info on that M300 right now. I am an owner of a V Studio and have enjoyed the product without issues for a number of years so my attenna are up regarding the new offerings from Roland. $3.8k for the snake also has to be considered. The TT has also been on the plate, but I know little about it other than some negative experiences a few others claim to have had.

Wait for the Behringer
icon_wink.gif

I have worked with the M400 for almost a year now. It has some good features like every other digital console, but there are things that I personally don't like about the console.

-Only has 24 compressors

-No groups

-Some effects are decent

-The console starts sounds horrible when you load it with lots of inputs and processing

I have had an issues with encoders, when you are turning up the gain or aux send one ''click'' at a time it thought I wanted full clockwise and put everything at max levels. We also had one crash doing a firmware update and couldn't get it to recover.

There are some good consoles out and some coming out in the near future that might fit your needs. Acouple that come to mind are the Presonous, Soundcraft SI Compact, Yamaha, and even the Behringer X32

How many inputs/outputs you need?

Does it have to be cat5 snake?

I've used both the 300 and 400 on a few shows and like others, I think they have decent feature sets for the money but I am not impressed with the sound and the implementation of many of those features. Plus, I feel the layout is a bit off, seems like at least one extra step to do just about anything. Just my $.02.

Stuff like this has been Roland's curse. They occasionally come out with some pretty innovative and cool products at reasonable price points, but they are handicapped with a couple of usability issues that torpedo the product's mainstream success. Future products seem to be slow to improve and often carry the same weaknesses forward. They've lost tremendous marketshare in the keyboard world to the likes of Yamaha and Korg.

TJ ''Haven't bought a Roland anything in at least 10 years'' Cornish