Router for Soundcraft Expression/Performer

Matt Lillie

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
NH
I have two routers that travel with me for iPad use, metering doesn't work with either with the latest SC update. Having issues with the UDP thing, they're Linksys which according to SC support is not a good thing.

So what router are you using that works? Best range and speed being priorities. Anyone using Apple Extreme, and if so what generation? I really don't want to buy another useless router.

TIA,
Matt

Re: Router for Soundcraft Expression/Performer

Depending on the router you have you could flash it with dd-wrt, and get some additional features as well as improved stability. Check it out and read the tutorials carefully before jumping in.

Checkout the Soundcraft Expression Facebook page. There have been several comments made in reply to Soundcraft's posts about the new VISI app addressing troubleshooting the metering issue.

Airports have been rock solid for me. I use the expresses in my rig and have no issues. The extremes do offer better range and beam shaping blarney that can be beneficial. The higher end Cisco stuff works great. Their cheap link sys line should be avoided at all costs. Yuck.

I have two routers that travel with me for iPad use, metering doesn't work with either with the latest SC update. Having issues with the UDP thing, they're Linksys which according to SC support is not a good thing.

So what router are you using that works? Best range and speed being priorities. Anyone using Apple Extreme, and if so what generation? I really don't want to buy another useless router.

TIA,
Matt

Make sure the board is completely powered down. Turn router on wait about 30 seconds. Turn board on. Had same issue till followed this order

Just set static IP addresses and move on. All this are work arounds to a proper network setup.

Take a little time to learn the basics of a TCP/IP network. If you are going to depend on a technology, at least be somewhat familiar with it.

Sent from my iPad HD

Make sure the board is completely powered down. Turn router on wait about 30 seconds. Turn board on. Had same issue till followed this order

For me, Visi doesn't work at all unless I follow that boot priority.
(at least for me) the router MUST be on and working BEFORE the board is booted up

And when I say "won't work", I mean: the iPad doesn't find the console

Boot the router first and make sure the iPad sees the network. THEN boot the mixer.
Since I've been doing that, it's been extremely reliable.

And when I say "won't work", I mean: the iPad doesn't find the console

Boot the router first and make sure the iPad sees the network. THEN boot the mixer.
Since I've been doing that, it's been extremely reliable.

If the mixer is set for DHCP then the router has to be running in order to hand out an address to the mixer when it starts.
If the mixer has a fixed address and the application knows it, then the order should not matter.

Sent from my iPad HD

Good info.

What happens if I set a set address and something else also has that address?

It won't work... But...why would you do that?

Sent from my iPhone

If someone else used that address - venue wireless router, any number of wireless devices. Heck my GoPro camera has a built in router. I have no idea what it's address is.

Odds are low, but the possibility is there.

The odds are impossible that you will overlap IPs on your network if you set the IPs on your devices to different numbers. Plus it only takes 30 seconds to do a scan on a computer or mobile device.

Sent from my iPhone

Odds will get a whole lot lower if you don't use the default IP address scheme (192.168.1.1). I have all my gear (consoles, iPad2, iPad Mini, WAPs) set to use 100.100.1.xxx with static IP addresses.

I hope that those devices never see the Internet, unless you actually have that IP block assigned to you. It's generally considered good practice to use one of the 3 IP address blocks designated for private networks for devices that don't need to be publiclly routable.

See RFC 1918

My worry was a possible conflict with someone else's gear.
Not worried that someone would be able to access my stuff, just that theirs could conflict and make mine not work.

Scan for IP addresses? If you find a conflict, then you have to determine which piece of gear it is, then access it, and then reconfigure it.
It may be easy if you are an I.T. guy, but I'm not. Would take me a hell of a lot longer than 30 seconds to do that.

For someone of my limited I.T, skills, booting in the right order has worked well.
Maybe one of these days I'll grok the technology (but they'll change the O.S. and hardware then and I'll have to learn all over again!)

Why would someone else's gear be on your network? If it's not on your network, their IP address doesn't matter.

Sent from my SPH-L900

If I set a static IP address to the exact same address as someone else's static IP address, there won't be a conflict?