SB1000e out-of-band EQ

Re: SB1000e out-of-band EQ

So my neighbours decided to leave work early tonight, meaning that I could do something useful.

Green trace is with a symmetrical electric crossover.

Red is only the top cabinet.

Blue is the subwoofer.

Last trace is my experiment with an asymmetrical electric crossover. I played around with the crossover frequency on the subs, and ended up at 85hz. Delay, eq etc is all the same as before.

The asymmetrical crossover sounds smoother, but I feel the urge to raise my subwoofer level by 3 dB.

Comments? Thoughts?
icon_smile.gif

Helge,

Actually not too shabby. You are still listening too much with your eyes, though. There is a funny dip in your mains near crossover that is probably causing you some consternation. I would lower your sub LPF even more. You are showing the ''normal'' 12dB hot sub setup that everyone seems to prefer, you probably need to equalize the response of your tops slightly to help match up with it better... i.e. a wide parametric boost at 90Hz or so.

Hard to say much without being there.

Looks like the sub is about 6 dB too hot from 40 to 80 Hz, but I am in the minority who prefer mixing with flat response rather than the low end ''haystack'' that is so popular.

That said, I have a bit of the ''haystack'' going on with my shop speakers as a loudness contour for pop music listened to at levels far lower than normal concert levels.

What level were you listening at?

There is a funny dip in your mains near crossover that is probably causing you some consternation.

It's a microphone placement issue. If I measure in another location, it's in a different frequency, or gone.

Quote: said:
I would lower your sub LPF even more. You are showing the ''normal'' 12dB hot sub setup that everyone seems to prefer, you probably need to equalize the response of your tops slightly to help match up with it better... i.e. a wide parametric boost at 90Hz or so.

Will try that
icon_smile.gif

Looks like the sub is about 6 dB too hot from 40 to 80 Hz, but I am in the minority who prefer mixing with flat response rather than the low end ''haystack'' that is so popular.

That said, I have a bit of the ''haystack'' going on with my shop speakers as a loudness contour for pop music listened to at levels far lower than normal concert levels.

What level were you listening at?

Can't remember the actual level, but I'm guessing around 85-90 dBA.

There is a funny dip in your mains near crossover that is probably causing you some consternation.

It's a microphone placement issue. If I measure in another location, it's in a different frequency, or gone.

Therein lies the problem with trying to diagnose system measurements over the Internet! The only other change I would make is adjust your delay compensation so your phase is flattest around the acoustic crossover point, that makes seeing what you need to adjust a lot easier.

As Evan has already noted, when setting your sub LPF, forget about electrical response . You want to consider the actual acoustic crossover taking place. In this case, a lower frequency LPF is your friend.

I've tried that in the past, and can't say I liked it. For some reason I prefer the sound of an symmetrical electric crossover. Right now the acoustic crossover point is somewhere around 120hz, if I lower the crossover point on the subs, they will sum flatter in the 100-120hz region, but I don't like it sound wise. It's probably because i prefer that extra addition. And if I move to a symmetrical electric crossover point around 80hz, the sb1000e sounds terrible IMHO
icon_smile.gif

Some more experimentation is in order.

Hi

IMO symmetrical ELECTRICAL high-pass and Low-pass are in most cases wrong.

The reason being the outputs of the two drivers are typically NOT symmetrical!

If it is fine, but mostly it is not.

It is NEVER so for the highs and the mids. You have a better shot with blending subs and full range since you might have the same roll off rate.

If the full range speaker has a port and drops off at 24dB per octave you need the same from the sub.

Let's say that the full range goes low enough flat that a LR24 looks like it should.

If the sub's natural roll off is 12dB per octave you need to use a 12dB low pass on the sub to balance things out.

This is a LONG way from symmetrical!

In all cases I look for an ACUOSTIC TARGET and do whatever I need to do in the electrical world to make my result look like that target.

That is how my modeling software is.

As for ''Out of Band'' EQ, that is used to make the drivers perform flat so that a simple low-pass will give you a text book result when you measure.

Another problem it is used to fix is the huge sharp peaks you get from using metal (or other stiff material) in HiFi drivers.

A 7'' metal woofer may start to roll off around 2kHz, but has a huge peak at 6kHz where its ''Breakup Mode'' happens. You need to put a sharp parametric EQ on that peak to knock it down or you will hear it coming from the woofer.