Scary Rigging pt2: 1 year later / overkill

Lee Dickinson

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Richmond, VA
www.avp-ric.com
My advice: Try to not ever get "written up" on the internet, lest you end up foreverafter resorting to the following to put up a 9x12 projection screen:

1" x 48" stakes
2 ton come-along
3/8 steel.
5/8 shackle
Spanset choke.

Repeat four times for each 30lb projection screen.

There is plenty of good news about this event (and about the past year at my company) but I'm going to bite my tongue (mostly) in good taste.

Attachments

• IMAG0328 [800x600].jpg
    IMAG0328 [800x600].jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
Re: Scary Rigging pt2: 1 year later / overkill

The ground. This is the guy wire setup for 9x12 screens at our outdoor gig this weekend. You'd have to dig a little to find the backstory on this, but I am sure some people remember.

The ground. This is the guy wire setup for 9x12 screens at our outdoor gig this weekend. You'd have to dig a little to find the backstory on this, but I am sure some people remember.

So Lee... I've gotta ask...

How would you prefer to do it, if you didn't feel you were being scrutinized more then everyone else?

A 9x12 screen, while maybe only weighing 30lbs, can present some amazingly higher dynamic loads when interacting with mother nature. I applaud your current efforts to do what looks like a pretty robust job of keeping things strapped down safely. It's too bad that no one ever does a write-up online of rigging jobs that go "right" :)~:)~:smile:

After last years debauchery , i can say that i am quite excited about this years event. I'm all about doing things right the first time and being professional about it. I'll be mixing monitors for this event and i can say that i am looking forward to all the improvements in the air...Literally...and figuratively...

If whatever story you're talking about is the same as the one I remember then what I remember most about it is someone being really sore about not getting the gig you landed and being such a sore loser that he didn't even let you know that your talkback mic was patched to a delay speaker you couldn't hear, but he could - while stalking the premises camera-in-hand...

A 9x12 screen, while maybe only weighing 30lbs, can present some amazingly higher dynamic loads when interacting with mother nature.

It's possible to get perforated screens, which cut down the wind loading with minimal effect on the picture quality. We've supplied some for installations (where the issue was letting the sound through from a pipe organ behind) and have been pleased with the results.

I wouldn't expect the cost is feasible for a one-off or annual event, but if you find your fastfolds are doing a lot of outdoor gigs it might be worth investigating further.