SD to PCMCIA adapters that work on the PM5D

Re: SD to PCMCIA adapters that work on the PM5D

First one is out of stock, and likely to never be back in stock. Have not been able to find that bad boy anywhere, so I assume the company that made them has stopped.
Second one likely wouldn't work, as most available nowadays don't.

First one is out of stock, and likely to never be back in stock. Have not been able to find that bad boy anywhere, so I assume the company that made them has stopped.

That's bad, as the first one is known to be working. It's the one I use.

Gonna give this a try. I'll let you know whether the experiment is a success or not...

View attachment 5041

The guy on the left says it's "Awesome!"
Correction, this does work, (once you use the correct type of SD card!) but it's not particularly useful since you still have to pull the CF card from the PCMCIA adapter and then the SD card from the CF card. Interestingly, it does save a load a lot faster than the straight CF card for some reason...

It seems like the MCR-5A may be still in stock in China, the last buying transaction is listed as of Nov. 2012, pretty recent:

Wholesale EDUP 5in1 pc card adapter mcr-5a laptop dedicated reader, Free shipping, $26.91-34.2/Piece | DHgate

Thanks, Christian. I would never buy anything through DHGate though.

Understandable. It's on alibaba as well, I don't have a login there but a friend has because she's importing some stuff from China. I am tempted to ask for a price for 20 or so units. On the other hand I don't want to get in the resale business...

Gesendet von meinem HTC Vision mit Tapatalk 2

I just ordered a Buffalo one on ebay for 10 bucks. If that one works I think the seller has more. Since the seller's in China, I want to do a "test buy" first to see if it actually shows up and if it works.
I'll let you know what happens.

Really doesn't work? That's so annoying! The label even looks the same as the edup one. Again it should mostly be down to
A) it's gotta present itself to the cardbus host as an IDE device - not USB,
B) the card must be SD not SDHC and
C) must be FAT16 format.
D) must be less than 2GB in size.