Selecting Studio Monitors - Poor Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Parzit

Banned
Feb 12, 2015
I have been using pro audio gear for over 25 years. I made a big mistake. Based on daily use, I believe that the KRK Rokit monitors are very poor for mixing audio (range / poor sound quality) There are many, many great options out there in the same price range. Don’t’ be fooled by the hype and the cute yellow speaker cones.

Re: Selecting Studio Monitors - Poor Choice

Hey Andy,

For your first post, you've brought us a two sentence review of KRK's MI range of studio monitors. I would love some more information, like:
  1. Which Rokit model did you audition?
  2. Do they all sound the same?
  3. Did you listen to any studio monitors you liked, in comparison?
  4. What specifically do you find to be a deal breaker with this lineup?
  5. Did you listen to them for acoustic instrument recording in your home studio, or are you building a wave synthesis setup in an anechoic chamber?

Re: Selecting Studio Monitors - Poor Choice

I have a pair of Rokit 5's. They are plenty serviceable if you are just a little more creative.

For example, they come in handy when you need a small portable sound system for parties; or in a pinch when your cousin/brother/mother/daughter/ whatever gets wasted and kicks in your rockin panasonic home stereo woofers and you need to save the day. I used them as TV speakers in my first apartment for a while - quite an upgrade from the stock speakers on the 32" sony tube. I still use one everyday for desk tests at the office.

I've had fun experimenting with re-amping snare drums with them (http://www.drummagazine.com/plugged-in/post/reamping-the-snare/). Or as an excitation source for a reverb chamber.

We have no idea what model you are talking about, and what generation for that matter. The Rokits have gone through many revisions over the years. I have heard some that I thought were absolutely fantastic, and others not so much. Rokits find their way into some very pro mixing rooms in front of some very pro mix engineers. So it seems that your opinion needs a bit more fleshing before this can be considered a review.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.