Sennheiser repair prices

Lee Brenkman

Junior
Jan 13, 2011
Oakland California USA
I have over a dozen Sennheiser E835 microphones and after several years of reliable service as an all purpose vocal and instrumental microphone two of them have recently stopped working, the second one just last night between two sets.

So I go to the Sennheiser "Service Portal", create an account and password and check on their flat rate repair prices. I did this knowing from the past that their charges for repairs on MD 421s in the past closely approached the price of a new microphone.

Here's what I found on the page of flat rate prices with the quoted price rounded up to the next dollar.

MD421 $184.95 ($380 current average street price) 49% cost of new

E845 $59.95 ($135 street) 44%
E845S $59.95 ($150 street) 40%

E835S $39.95 ($100-110 street) 36% of average

And then:

E835 $83.95! ($100-$120 street) 76% of the average street price!

What is up with THAT? A premium price because it is their most popular Evolution series vocal microphone?

This makes no sense to me. Particularly when I can buy a three pack of the same microphone for about $250.

Comment form anyone at Sennheiser USA would be interesting.

Last edited:
Re: Sennheiser repair prices

And then:

Wait, it costs over twice as much to repair the version WITHOUT the switch?!? Isn't it the same mic, except with one less part that can break? Maybe that's a typo...

I have over a dozen Sennheiser E835 microphones and after several years of reliable service as an all purpose vocal and instrumental microphone two of them have recently stopped working, the second one just last night between two sets.

So I go to the Sennheiser "Service Portal", create an account and password and check on their flat rate repair prices. I did this knowing from the past that their charges for repairs on MD 421s in the past closely approached the price of a new microphone.

Here's what I found on the page of flat rate prices with the quoted price rounded up to the next dollar.

And then:

What is up with THAT? A premium price because it is their most popular Evolution series vocal microphone?

This makes no sense to me. Particularly when I can buy a three pack of the same microphone for about $250.

You are doing better than me. I have 2 e905's that need new clamps. I couldn't even find the part.

Jay,

How did you manage to damage the attached stand mounts on E905s? Stripped threads? Or broken off where the swivel meets the mic?

Stripped threads... drummers over tightening when I am not looking.

edit- and the problem was that major parts of the site were not responding at all while I was trying to search. Many links went no where or in circles.

I have some metal adapters with both male and female 5/8-27 threads that I screwed and glued into some similar mics with attached and stripped plastic thread adapters. But I've forgotten where I got them. It was many years ago.

And yes, like several other websites Sennheiser's does indeed run you in interesting circles.

Evan is a dealer... hopefully he can get a couple.

One someone mentioned it was the same part on the 902, I found it and they are cheap enough to keep a couple of spares.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

And then:

Sennheiser has a 10-Year warranty on those e series wired mics. Why don't they qualify for warranty repair?

edit- and the problem was that major parts of the site were not responding at all while I was trying to search. Many links went no where or in circles.

My treads started doing the same. I was at Chucks and picked up a few of the On-Stage QK-2B quick disconnects. When I put on the quick disconnect, I put some thread locker in there as well.
Product link: https://onstagestands.com/products/view/117219/6111

I am pretty sure that when you send in a dead e835, they send you a brand new one as a replacement. I know they did this on a couple e604 last year.