Setting up a standalone limiter for Meyer UPAs

Re: Setting up a standalone limiter for Meyer UPAs

Per the main problem with the unpowered UPAs is the fairly slow attac time on the limiters also the drivers in these ones are all getting old now so ping they go sometimes with no warning at all hopefully that's the last of them now and we'll try and be more careful with them won't we Stuart??? :))

They're supposed to be power limiters AFAIK, considering voice coils have temperature rise times on the order of half an hour pretty durn long attack makes sense. Excursion limiting is such a thorny problem almost nobody tries to do it, much easier to control in box design and by using an appropriate HPF. Of course, aging drivers and woofers is a whole different issue, can't really limit for that without taking a pretty hefty performance knock when new. Suspensions age, some much more gracefully than others, but at some point every woofer needs to be replaced. I suggest you replace every woofer and driver in your inventory at least once a month: tell them I sent you when you call. :twisted:

Bennett funnily enough the woofers on these speakers all look shiny still and with Smaart are all within a couple of db of each other it's been the highs that have gone 50-50 fatigue /physical damage or electrical, I'm guessing 4 drivers out of 8 in 7 years on what were 10 year old boxes when we got them isn't bad, especially as they have an unfortunate habit of being in the wrong place at the right time.

If you're in Ireland later come over to Glasgow and you can see for yourself, might even find some nice whisky for you. G

Gordon, I'm sure they do. Suspension aging is pretty hard to measure in the magnitude domain. They could be fine, as well. Not surprised the highs are going first, truly durable HF drivers are newer than those boxes!

I'd love to see you in Glasgow, we will probably have to get on the island that way so I'll keep in touch! I believe you met Selena at the last Get Together, but she likes whisky just as much as I do so we'd have a great time hanging out.

If you fly to Glasgow from the US then it's either a short flight to Belfast or Dublin or you drive down the coast a bit and take a ferry. Yes I did meet the brave Selena, it would be good to see you again.

Gordon, I'm sure they do. Suspension aging is pretty hard to measure in the magnitude domain. They could be fine, as well. Not surprised the highs are going first, truly durable HF drivers are newer than those boxes!

I'd love to see you in Glasgow, we will probably have to get on the island that way so I'll keep in touch! I believe you met Selena at the last Get Together, but she likes whisky just as much as I do so we'd have a great time hanging out.

Better go to Jinty's for a pint and some irish music then, Gordon and Stuart surely knows the place well.