Shure Beta 87c Vs. KSM9

I work with a female vocalist who is looking to upgrade her microphone. I was hoping to get a few opinions on these microphones. I am pretty familiar with the 87c, I like it a lot and it seems to be smooth and consistant. Does anyone have any experience with the KSM9? and if so what are your opinions. I have heard good things about this capsule. She will be using IEM with this mic.

Thanks Guys!

Re: Shure Beta 87c Vs. KSM9

I prefer the KSM9 over the Beta87C. The "C" version is the best of the 87 lot for female vocals in my experience and I think the KSM9 is a huge improvement over it. The downside is that the KSM9 seems to pick up everything on stage.. but it doesn't color them, so doing some additive mixing, using the mic bleed as the foundation, works fairly well.

{grumpy guy alert} Of all the Beta series vocal or general purpose mics, the one that seems to work best is the Beta57a. You can keep all the 87 flavors. The Beta 91 is more convenient but still doesn't sound enough like the old SM91. The Beta 58, when used on an Olde Skool JBL PA makes for some painful forehead icepicking. {/grumpy guy alert}

I prefer the KSM9 over the Beta87C. The "C" version is the best of the 87 lot for female vocals in my experience and I think the KSM9 is a huge improvement over it. The downside is that the KSM9 seems to pick up everything on stage.. but it doesn't color them, so doing some additive mixing, using the mic bleed as the foundation, works fairly well.

{grumpy guy alert} Of all the Beta series vocal or general purpose mics, the one that seems to work best is the Beta57a. You can keep all the 87 flavors. The Beta 91 is more convenient but still doesn't sound enough like the old SM91. The Beta 58, when used on an Olde Skool JBL PA makes for some painful forehead icepicking. {/grumpy guy alert}

+1 on the Beta 57..They are next on my want list

The ksm9 is just fantastic, bright but smooth, articulate but not overly. Surprisingly good with gain before feedback. The sm86 is my second favorite shure mic. Lots cheaper but still in the same direction as a ksm9 without being quite as bright as a beta 87. If you have the cash, the ksm9 is certainly worth owning.

I work with a female vocalist who is looking to upgrade her microphone. I was hoping to get a few opinions on these microphones. I am pretty familiar with the 87c, I like it a lot and it seems to be smooth and consistant. Does anyone have any experience with the KSM9? and if so what are your opinions. I have heard good things about this capsule. She will be using IEM with this mic.

Thanks Guys!

AT AE5400 - used by Barbara Streisand latest live album I believe AND Metallica...I like them too.

+1 Audio Technology's AE5400 about 2/3 the price of the KSM9 in Australia...

The KSM freq response changes off-axis, AE5400 is much smoother in that regard. Pattern is not as tight on AE54, but if someone has a strong voice, good mic technique and is using IEMs, stage sound bleed in is far more consistent.

Are there any favorites on the Sennheiser end of things? She owns a EW 115, perhaps I could just upgrade the capsule? I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the Sennheiser line of microphones.

You may need a new transmitter, but the E9xx capsules are available. If you get a 2000 series Tx, you can get Neumann capsules as well. See if you can demo the E935 and E965.

Keep in mind that 'which mic' is a big mix of personal preference and which fits each voice the best.

I have used all the E9xx capsules, and most of the Shure SM and Beta capsules. Personal preference, the KSM9 is nice, but overall I like the E9xx mics better. I also like the AE5400 a lot. I don't have to deal with loud stages much anymore, that could skew things in your case.