Shure Lav clip

drew gandy

Junior
Jul 17, 2011
Chicago
I don't think I've seen this discussed yet. Basically, I'm curious about thoughts on the 2 different ways you can mount the WL18X series mics in the wire clip. If I recall correctly, the left orientation is how they come out of the box and how I've seen them in some pictures. But, the orientation on the right is my preferred arrangement. The left way is too top heavy and the mic tends to flop around.
Shure Lav Mics.jpg

Re: Shure Lav clip

I've wondered the same thing myself :)
and I actually think they come separate. the mic comes with a baggie over it and a twist tie, so it's up to the guy who opens it up and then it typically stays that way
I prefer the right myself. and I like how you've routed the cable too.

Jason

Jason
+1 I use that method almost every day. Routing the cable that way really helps keep the clip from being yanked off if the wire gets tangled the speaker's gesticulations (shouldn't be any issue if you route it through their clothing properly, anyway).

I much prefer headset mics, but find that the WL184 capsules fair pretty well when the talent turns their head.

I've wondered the same thing myself :)
and I actually think they come separate. the mic comes with a baggie over it and a twist tie, so it's up to the guy who opens it up and then it typically stays that way

I think you're right. Maybe it's the photos from Shure where I've seen it in the floppy configuration. The other thing that has thrown me is how the little loop in the wire clip fits so nicely into the slot in the windscreen.

Jason

I use the Shure mics almost exclusively; not because it's my choice but because it's what all the AV companies have and I've tended to follow suit with my own gear. [And being in 'Shure country' might have something to do with it.] I tend to prefer the 185 capsule (cardioid) for general use as the 184 can be a little too tight on some speakers but both are acceptable as far as I'm concerned. As far as routing the wire through the clip, it's not bad. But I do wish there were a loop or guide for the wire to fasten all the way around to the back of the clip. 90%+ of the time I'm putting the mic on a tie or shirt where I want the wire to go around and behind the clothing. I'm somewhat baffled that it's not designed a little better in this regard. And for women I wish I could make a big ugly Dickie type of "necklace" with a place to clip the mic for them to wear. Maybe even go to a throat mic like WWII. Just yesterday a very nice woman told me that she wore her metal hoop necklace that day so that we would have a place to put the mic. I opted to put the mic on the neckline of her top instead and I think she moved her nametag over so it would hit the mic just to spite me.

?..As far as routing the wire through the clip, it's not bad. But I do wish there were a loop or guide for the wire to fasten all the way around to the back of the clip. 90%+ of the time I'm putting the mic on a tie or shirt where I want the wire to go around and behind the clothing. I'm somewhat baffled that it's not designed a little better in this regard....

yeah, me too. Back when I used a lot of sennheiser lavs we used these. They work great. Can be used with one or two mics, turned 90 degees if necessary, and a little clip for the wire that you can prerig so that the cable runs behind the tie or collar instantly. How I wish shure would make something similar for the WL184.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0

Well, at five times the money of the WL184 it had better have some accessories.....

A nice in-between priced set that I see quite a bit in my daily work is the TRAM TR-50 kit. Priced @$250 or so for the whole kit and comes with a pile-o-options for attaching it in various situations... I also dig their windscreens with the flat back, so they don't get pushed away from the mounting surface when clipped in place.

TRAM-mic-kit-white-zoom.jpg

I never have liked the WL184, simply for it's large size and inherent floppiness when clipped on, due to it's weight.

The DPA4088 has been absolutely killing for me recently, in any situation where I can get away with the headset instead of a Lav. Once the results are heard, everyone seems to get really comfortable with it in a hurry, it's getting them to try it that can take a bit of convincing. :cry:

Steve.

The Tram mics are really nice but.... Omni?

I agree about headsets. The 2nd level of issue is convincing AV companies to carry them since clients don't generally ask for them. To a meeting planner (who thought regular lavs worked just fine at their last event) it just sounds like an extra cost.

I'm fine with the big Shure lavs so long as the presenters are men wearing ties and the room/speakersystem combo is reasonable. I did a gig in an airplane hangar a few weeks ago and even with a Countryman headset on the CEO it was still no match for the room and poor speaker placement.

The best "all-round" solution in my expericence is a DPA 4066 omni headset. Because its an omni you can use it without windscreen, and there is no proximity effect. Compared to the 4088 it generally sounds better, the 4088 simply sounds bad with some speakers.

GBF is still much better than with any lavalier (even the 4080) because it is much closer to the mouth.

In your area have you seen a strong transition to headsets? Actually, this question goes to anybody anywhere. Is anybody now using headsets exclusively for talking head gigs?
Yes.
I freelance at a big conference centre in Copenhagen where they use 4088 exclusively and have good results.
I also see headsets used at many bigger conferences and political meetings, and most speakers are used to wearing them. We still have some "problems" with our prime minister, who refuses headsets but she mstly stands behind a lectern anyway.

They also creep into TV shows and debates, beacuse of the desire to shoot in places with less than optimal acoustics.

In a quiet auditorium or TV studio with a low reverberation time lavaliers will typically be fine, but how often do you see a conference in a auditorium these days :x~:-x~:mad:

DI-EU-Horsens550.jpgDuel__L_kke_-_S_vnd_504313a.jpg

Last edited:

In your area have you seen a strong transition to headsets? Actually, this question goes to anybody anywhere. Is anybody now using headsets exclusively for talking head gigs?
At my location for my job, I use the super-cardioid elements on the Shure lavs and that gets us the best GBF - which is my primary concern when forced to use in-house audio (ceiling speakers). Using SOS is always nicer, but not an option people are willing to pay for when, "There's already speakers in the room…why can't I just use them?".

Headset mics allow me to pay more attention to HOW it sounds, rather than waiting for the next feedback ring to happen so I can knock it out of the mix. I wish we used them more often, but it seems that lavs are still the preferred mic to deploy for corpy events around here (Philadelphia area). I'm going to try recommending them for future events because "they're trendy". Maybe that'll cause the client to rethink...

The University I work for rents out our facilities for conferences during the summer, and we've seen an increasing number of requests over the last year or so. I probably had 15 to 20 larger events in our auditoriums last June/July and had requests for headset mics from about half of them. The previous summer I had 1. We've had a couple guest lectures ask to use them this semester too, which we haven't had before.
Based on the increasing number of requests I picked up a couple of the AudioTechnica headset mics, and really like them. They are a bit bulkier than Countrymans, but they sound more natural and feel much more solidly constructed.

...I picked up a couple of the AudioTechnica headset mics, and really like them. They are a bit bulkier than Countrymans, but they sound more natural and feel much more solidly constructed.
I agree. I think that the Countryman E6 headsets are starting to become like the JBL EON was with powered speakers…it still works, but there are improved versions out there that may work better for some people's circumstances.

I've found the Countryman E6 to be sonically favorable to the AT892. It also seems to be a little bit easier to fit. I did a shootout between the 2 mics a few months ago for a church and even though I told them we can probably get the AT to sound like the E6 with some more time with the EQ (and therefore save them some bucks) they said they wanted the Countryman. Perhaps you guys are referring to the replacement model BP892?

I've found the Countryman E6 to be sonically favorable to the AT892. It also seems to be a little bit easier to fit. I did a shootout between the 2 mics a few months ago for a church and even though I told them we can probably get the AT to sound like the E6 with some more time with the EQ (and therefore save them some bucks) they said they wanted the Countryman. Perhaps you guys are referring to the replacement model BP892?

Mine are BP892.
I've used some borrowed Countryman headsets for some shows and never been thrilled with the sound. I've always thought that they sounded somewhat thin and honky, and I've had trouble getting a lot of gain before feedback. With the AT BP892 headset, it just works. Nice neutral sound without hitting the EQ and I don't find it nearly as prone to feedback. I had a guest lecture last week, the guy wanted to work the crowd so he jumps off the apron wearing the mic, walks right in front of the house left speaker and partway up the left isle to converse with an audience member. Smooth even sound, no feedback, and the thing stayed on his ear the whole time. I also like that it comes with a full headpiece so I can anchor it to both ears should I end up with a more active performer.