Shure P4T clipping built in limiters

Jay Barracato

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Solomons MD
I would like to clean up the signal that a band using the Shure P4T IEM's hears. The basic problem is the lack of dynamic range in the IEM's cannot match the dynamic range of the band on stage. In this case, the entire band hears the same stereo signal and uses it to control their dynamics at their microphones.

The unit has a 4 led input meter. According to the manual you should set the gain into the unit so the yellow is mostly illuminated but occasional flashes of red are ok. I am not sure if something is wrong with this particular unit but any red causes first distortion then the entire signal cutting out.

The built in limiters are supposed to be greater than 10:1 reduction,but I do not see anywhere in the manual that says you can change their parameter.

I could use a compressor to smooth out the signal range, but then I am afraid the band will not hear what they need to control their own dynamics.

Would it be reasonable to use a limiter on the input just to knock down the loudest moments? What other problems might I not be seeing?

Re: Shure P4T clipping built in limiters

I have found that the sound starts to get pretty nasty when you go into the yellow on those. I always try to stay in the green, sounds much cleaner. Even going into the red a little gets very harsh.

How high are the belt packs levels set? Try turning up the belt packs and lowering the signal to the transmitter.

Does everyone get thier own mix?

Most of the time the problem comes from the belt packs being turned down too low and the musicians are telling me to turn up thier mix which causes the transmitter to go into the red. I try to have for instance, the lead singer's vocals set as high in the mix as possible (staying in the green, sometimes yellow)and adjust the rest of the inst/vocals just below so that persons vocals aren't covered up. That way whatever they want highest in thier mix stays on top.

I wouldn't bypass the limiter.

Re: Shure P4T clipping built in limiters

What you described is basically the way I have them currently set. This is an acoustic band that doesn't have problems with stage volumes. The total volume at the transmitter and the packs is adequate.

The problem is that adequate for 90 percent of their set leaves a couple of times when they totally blow them away. Each of these times when they blow them away is a vocalist doing so for artistic reasons. I have also had them go into clip a couple of times just due to applause from the audience bleeding into all the mics.

I wasn't thinking of bypassing the built in limiters, I would like to get another comp/limiter unit in line before the transmitter, to use the limiter to knock down just those peak points.