Shure sm137, Audix F9 , for hi hat use ?

Sep 11, 2011
Hamburg, NY.
Has anyone used either of these mics on Hi hat? What are your thoughts of them? Maybe even compared to a sm81? ( as I gather is a industry standard).
This is for weekend playing, bar gigs, no fancy venues or recording use.

Thanks
Al.

Re: Shure sm137, Audix F9 , for hi hat use ?

Sounds like an SM57 will do just fine!

:lol:

I've used the 137 quite a bit, and more so it's brother, the KSM137, of which I am a huge fan, though never have used it on a high hat. But, something to note here, is that the SM 137 is a cardiod mic, and depending on placement, could give you quite a bit of bleed from the snare. These mics are super transparent though, and sound great. We use the 81 for our hats though. Can anyone here weigh in on having used the 137 for hats?

I use KSM137's on hats with some frequency, they work. I never compared the two side by side though.

Edit - I use ksm137's not Sm137's Im not sure what the difference is......

I did a couple tours with the KSM137 on Hi-Hat and enjoyed it. I migrated away from the SM81 there. Actually in my opinion, I think there are many mics that outshine the SM81 in its price range and below. (Read: "I'm not an SM81 fan at all.")

Several years ago, a friend and I got together as many "pointy condensers" as we could find and put them up against each other for hi-hat, overheads, and acoustic guitar. Without going into all the detail, go check out the Sennheiser e614. It's an awesome condenser for its price range!

My favorite Hi-Hat mic is the AKG C451, but it's definitely out of the price range of the SM137 and the Audix F9. I also own a small handful of Neumann KM184s that never cease to be a joy to use.