Si Compact 24

Jamin Lynch

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
South Texas
I got my new Si Compact the other day and have been playing around with it. It has a lot of really nice features. The best thing I like is how easy it is to use. I had it figured out pretty well in about an hour.

A couple of things I didn't really like right out of the box.....but can live with.

Only 1 BNC light connection. XLR would have been better
No talk back input
Headphone jack is under the left front of the console. I would rather it be top right. Or somewhere on top.
Touch screen is a little small. Not a real big problem after you use it for a while.
Some of the input connectors are at the very bottom on the rear side. You have to prop up the mixer on the case to reach them, or take it out of the case.
Not 4 band fully parametric channel EQ's. Better than what I had before though.
I didn't like having only 22 faders at first. But channels 23-24 are a button push away.

Now the good things:

Very light weight and "compact". It's much smaller than I expected.
Really simple to use. Well planned out.
Graphic EQ's out the wazoo.
14 bus outs.
Seperate stereo inputs for CD or I-pods. Don't have to burn up channels.
USB port.

I'll be taking it out for the first time this weekend. A bit nervous, but should go well. Will report back.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
Re: Si Compact 24

I did my first job this past weekend with the new Si compact. It was a benefit for a fellow musician. There was supposed to be 1 band and an acoustic act. Not a big deal. I thought I had it down pretty good. I found out after I arrived there would be 4 bands, 2 acoustics acts, an auction, and I was to supply all the break music. Holly crap!! I was a little nervous at first, I didn't even bring a back up mixer!! Fortunately, I got there early so I would have time to play with the new mixer for a while and a friend came by and helped with getting the bands on and off. We checked all the monitor mixes for proper volume and sound quality. This was very simple to do with all the built-in graphic EQ's. Just punch up Bus1, which goes to monitor 1, sound check, tweek the EQ and go to the next. I was running 3 wedges up front and 1 for the drummer.

We set up the first band, (a 3 piece) got a quick sound check....(this is where the talk back would have been nice, I just used channel 24) and off we went. I had the mix down good in just a couple of minutes. Wow this thing is easy to use. After the band finished, it was easy to throw on some break music. I brought my lap top and plugged it into stereo 1 inputs in the back.

The next band was a locally popular 5 piece Texas Music band. 3 electric guitars, bass, drums, 3 vocals across the front. They were easy to work with and thier BE was there to help out. Same thing, I had a good mix going in just a couple of minutes. The BE was very impressed with my set up and the quality of the sound. So far no problems. I hadn't goten lost yet.

Then the auction went on and on and on. Couldn't step away from FOH for even a second because there was always sombody who had to make an anouncement, and of coarse they held the mic down around their waste.

The next band was a 4 piece Texas Music band. Got them set up pretty fast and didn't even do a sound or line check...just took off. But again, no problems.

The last band didn't get to play because the bar manager shut the place down early.

But I made it through the night with absolutely no problems at all. Very easy to use. The sound quality was very good, clean and clear. All the built-in dynamics worked well. They were simple to set up and run on the fly. The display screen size isn't really a problem...even for us old guys with reading glasses. I could see it fine. The colored faders are a nice feature. It's hard to get lost. I am very pleased with this mixer.

It's nice to finally hear a real world review of these things. I'm sure there are others out there, I just haven't seen them. I've used the Vi6 before and loved it, so when I saw they were coming out with a smaller version of it, I knew I would probably like it. I'll get my hands on one soon I hope!

The Vi6 is an incredible mixer; the Si and Si Compact, not as much. The large, multiple touch screens are largely what make the large Vi's great, and what are missing from the Si's.

The Vi6 is an incredible mixer; the Si and Si Compact, not as much. The large, multiple touch screens are largely what make the large Vi's great, and what are missing from the Si's.

For $85,000 the Vi6 better be something else. With the price differences, it's not really an apples to apples comparison, then again, the Vi6 doesnt stack up to the Midas XL8 console either...

;)

For $85,000 the Vi6 better be something else. With the price differences, it's not really an apples to apples comparison, then again, the Vi6 doesnt stack up to the Midas XL8 console either...

;)

The Vi series is excellent, but touchscreens are still extremely annoying. If on the Vi series the knob could be pushed (instead of hitting the button next to it), they'd have a 100% winner IMHO.

In the case of the Si Compact series, the fact that they left out parametric low and high EQ bands is a huge disappointment. It doesn't take any more DSP power to make it happen; it only takes two encoders...and even the crappiest Behringer DDX digital has four fully parametric bands plus sweepable high pass...

I cannot even use the Si series because I can't read the text on the microscopic OLED screens without bending over to within a foot...so either my back is going to go, or the console is. I pick the console.

The Vi series is excellent, but touchscreens are still extremely annoying. If on the Vi series the knob could be pushed (instead of hitting the button next to it), they'd have a 100% winner IMHO.

In the case of the Si Compact series, the fact that they left out parametric low and high EQ bands is a huge disappointment. It doesn't take any more DSP power to make it happen; it only takes two encoders...and even the crappiest Behringer DDX digital has four fully parametric bands plus sweepable high pass...

I cannot even use the Si series because I can't read the text on the microscopic OLED screens without bending over to within a foot...so either my back is going to go, or the console is. I pick the console.

Eh, I guess maybe all I like about the Vi stuff is that it's colorful. :p (I actually do like that feature a lot. but so are many other boards) And I"m with you Silas, the fact that the parametric is limited is a bit of a turn off. I'd much rather have a parametric over a graphic any day.(9/10 at least)

The Si series is not even remotely related to the Vi series. The only thing they have in common is the name Soundcraft.
No offense meant.

They both have mute buttons? :p :p :p

And you're right, the series are vastly different but still have some of the same features. I guess where I was going with talking about the Vi6, is like me saying that I've worked with a PM1D and am curious to finally try a LS9. Just to see where the company decided to take their small format offerings. That's all really.

I didn't find the size of the touch screen to be a real problem. Sure bigger would be better, but even an old guy like me could see everything OK....now where did I put those reading glasses. I don't recall needing to get into the touch screen but a couple of times anyway. Most all the tweaking is on knobs or faders.

Not having 4 band fully parametric eq is a real let down, but not a deal killer. I was able to get what I needed. Coming from a MixWiz to this was a HUGE leap. I'm pretty happy with the Si compact.

OK, all you naysayers saying that the touchscreen doesn't work on this console. Dig the iPhone/Android out of your pocket and look at it. Then look at the mixer. Then back at the phone. Then back at the mixer. You seem to get everything done on your phone that needs to be done so what is your problem with the Si screen?

You barely need the touch screen on a Si desk. That was kind of the point. To use those salad plates on the side of your head instead of being buried neck-deep in a touchscreen. /rant

So Jamin, how many monitor mixes can you get out of this thing? And can the mixes be combined in stereo for IEMs?

OK, all you naysayers saying that the touchscreen doesn't work on this console. Dig the iPhone/Android out of your pocket and look at it. Then look at the mixer. Then back at the phone. Then back at the mixer. You seem to get everything done on your phone that needs to be done so what is your problem with the Si screen?

You barely need the touch screen on a Si desk. That was kind of the point. To use those salad plates on the side of your head instead of being buried neck-deep in a touchscreen. /rant

So Jamin, how many monitor mixes can you get out of this thing? And can the mixes be combined in stereo for IEMs?

14 mono mixes with built-in graphic eq's. Haven't figure out how to easily do stereo IEM's.

Hi Jamin,

Looks like I've got a monitor gig coming up with one of these desks. I'll do my homework before hand but wondering if you have any tips for running monitors on this console?

Hi Jamin,

Looks like I've got a monitor gig coming up with one of these desks. I'll do my homework before hand but wondering if you have any tips for running monitors on this console?

Running monitors with this mixer is really easy. Get an input list in advance so you can pre-set everything before you go, then up load to a thumb drive. This will save a lot of set up time at the gig.

You will also need to set the channel eq's and dynamics, depending on if you want to run them pre or post aux. That option can easily be done through the touch screen. I have mine set for pre=FOH, post=monitors. I think the factory default is pre.

Last edited:

Running monitors with this mixer is really easy. Get an input list in advance so you can pre-set everything before you go, then up load to a thumb drive. This will save a lot of set up time at the gig.

You will also need to set the channel eq's and dynamics, depending on if you want to run them pre or post aux. That option can easily be done through the touch screen. I have mine set for pre=FOH, post=monitors. I think the factory default is pre.

Awesome thanks. This gig might get cancelled but if not I will report back with my thoughts on the console.

Tim,

I got out my mixer and in less than 5 minutes I figured out stereo IEM's.

Select aux 1 (or bus 1, that's how it's labeled on the mixer) go to the touch screen, scroll down to mono/stereo, select stereo. Now aux 1 is left and aux 2 is right. This will also give you stereo effects. Since there's 14 aux's, I can do up to 7 stereo IEM's in FOH mode. I could get an 8th IEM if I use the main outs in monitor mode.

Last edited: