Sign/banners promoting your sound business

Hello All:
Does anyone use a sign/banner (during a gig) to promote their sound production services?

If so, what size/type do you use and where do you display it (stage apron, scaffolding, etc.).

I have a few "high visibility" outdoor public sound gigs coming up this summer and would like to advertise my sound services.

Also, those of you that use signs/banners, are they worth the effort, have they helped your business?

Any links to pics would be great.

Thanks,
Mike M

Re: Sign/banners promoting your sound business

It's usually enough to:

- Put a small plastic sign up at FoH for people who are curious (the kind you see on hotel desks)
- Ask the whoever needs to be asked so that "audiovisual services provided by [x]" is in whatever program materials are provided
- Have a BIIIIIGGG ass cable trunk at monitor world with your logo and website stenciled on the side of it, facing the audience

Much more than that, and I feel like you're over promoting yourself, crossing some sort of line. Kind of like when driveway or lawn companies put their signs up in the front of your yard after they do a job. It's just wrong. If someone wants to know, they'll ask.

Last edited:

I agree with Max. Have business cards ready, and maybe make a case or two visible with your name and phone number. Anyone who is shopping for sound and likes what you did will probably come ask for a business card.

I also agree with Max.

I think it's tacky to promote ones own company at someone else's event unless sponsorship/banner placement are part of the agreed-upon compensation. A sponsor that put up $500 or $1000 for the community festival will be asking the organizers if the sound company is putting up cash or giving away their services if the banner is up.

Nice shirts (I like embroidery on polo shirts), clean & clear case stencils, a supply of business cards, and perhaps a small desk sign. But no banners unless you're a sponsor.

It's usually enough to:

- Put a small plastic sign up at FoH for people who are curious (the kind you see on hotel desks)
- Ask the whoever needs to be asked so that "audiovisual services provided by [x]" is in whatever program materials are provided
- You have a BIIIIIGGG ass cable trunk at monitor world with your logo and website stenciled on the side of it, facing the audience

Much more than that, and I feel like you're over promoting yourself, crossing some sort of line. Kind of like when driveway or lawn companies put their signs up in the front of your yard after they do a job. It's just wrong. If someone wants to know, they'll ask.

+1

Many higher-end clients are turned off by that sort of blatent advertising (especially if you're the only one doing it). Company shirts, logo'd cases, and a stack of business cards should be all you need to get your name out, with that last item being the most important. And remember, prospective clients are associating your workmanship with the name you're putting out there, there's some additional pressure for things to go smoothly when your name is on everything.