Simple sub design

Re: Simple sub design

We own no Danley products and we're not a dealer... Having heard the original TH115 and the revised model (different woofer), I believe that the TH118 will give you more performance than you're used to. You'll initially be surprised and think "wow, there's not a lot of subbage here" because you're probably used to hearing 20% (or far more) distortion and much of that is above the electrical crossover frequency. Want less 250hZ? Take a cut at 80Hz.... ;) (been there, done that).

Try to get a listening demo at the very least. Once you get used to hearing undistorted low bass you'll wonder why the rest of the world accepts distortion.
Tim,

Actually, a TH has more distortion than a BR for a given excursion.
However, a TH can put out around 6 dB more SPL than a BR using the same driver for a given voltage (power) resulting in a given excursion.

Lightweight cones in TH are much more distorted at a given voltage than they would be in a BR.
Low distortion in TH is not inherent in the design, but in the driver.
For clean output, cones designed for horn loading like the Eminence Lab 12, or the B&C18SW115-4 that DSL and I use in our 18" tapped horns are required.

Jamie could get about 6 dB more output using TH with his Eminence Omega Pro 18", but it would be more distorted than the BR he uses now.

Art

Try to get a listening demo at the very least. Once you get used to hearing undistorted low bass you'll wonder why the rest of the world accepts distortion.

I agree. Tim made a good point - "get used to". A single listen isn't enough. Be prepared to run a little higher SPL, knowing it's typically louder than it seems.