Simultaneous HDMI and speaker audio

Dave Johnson

Sep 27, 2022
Des Moines, Iowa
I see various suggestions online about how to achieve simultaneous HDMI and speaker audio but none of them have worked for me.

I bought an HDMI Audio Extractor (avedio links 4K@60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor, HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink SPDIF + 3.5mm AUX Stereo Audio Out, HDMI Audio Converter Adapter Splitter Support HDCP1.4 Full HD 1080P 3D) thinking I could use the 3.5mm output without interrupting HDMI audio -- it works as either/or, not both.

I'm trying to feed a Phonak TV Connector that takes HDMI input and outputs 3.5mm analog audio via Bluetooth to my hearing aids. The goal is to be able to watch together with my wife, she using speakers, I with independent volume control via the Phonak.

Did I buy the wrong device? Is my goal possible?

Windows 11 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.

I'm assuming the audio is delayed, the delay is because of processing and converting it needs to go through before you hear it,
so you just need to find a way to delay the video so it lines up. Alot of TVs fave a function in the menu to achieve this, but if you're not getting it from the TV, then maybe the amp has it. In the past, if I recall, the problem was when getting audio straight from the DVD, cable box, etc., if it was analog, it was faster than the video because it wasn't needing any processing. Maybe you need to experiment with where you extract the audio from to get the right timing if you don't have a delay function. Also it may never quite match if you're on Bluetooth and she's on the other since the Bluetooth alone is probably giving at least some delay.

I see various suggestions online about how to achieve simultaneous HDMI and speaker audio but none of them have worked for me.

I bought an HDMI Audio Extractor (avedio links 4K@60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor, HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink SPDIF + 3.5mm AUX Stereo Audio Out, HDMI Audio Converter Adapter Splitter Support HDCP1.4 Full HD 1080P 3D) thinking I could use the 3.5mm output without interrupting HDMI audio -- it works as either/or, not both.

I'm trying to feed a Phonak TV Connector that takes HDMI input and outputs 3.5mm analog audio via Bluetooth to my hearing aids. The goal is to be able to watch together with my wife, she using speakers, I with independent volume control via the Phonak.

Did I buy the wrong device? Is my goal possible?

Windows 11 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
Is there a headphone jack on the TV?

Not sure if I am understanding your problem but are you saying you can hear audio through the television or through your adaptor but not both at the same time.
Most 3.5mm sockets are for headphones which often disconnects standard audio. If I am understanding your problem correctly then the easy answer may be to use a HDMI splitter which will send one hdmi signal to your extractor and a separate matching signal to your TV.
However as mentioned above taking a digital audio from the HDMI cable and translating it to Bluetooth and then in your headset translating it back to sound again may delay the sound so the lipsync is off by a small amount.