Small In-Line Pad

Adam Robinson

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago IL
Our videographer needs a small in-line pad for the mic on his camera. Something like the Shure piece is great, but also very large. Anyone know of anything that's considerably smaller? It needs to pass phantom power.

Re: Small In-Line Pad

I made some of my own. I also just talked with Mark at audiopile to try to get him to have EWI make them. Give him a call to see if he has them yet. I know he made them custom for another customer. It would be difficult to get one smaller than a typical barrel connector but that is still considerably smaller than the Shure unit. I have posted the circuit somewhere around here. It's just three resistors if I remember correctly. I'll try to find it on my computer and repost it. Feel free to send me an email and I will reply with it.

Whirlwind makes the "IMP PAD" in fixed values. Hosa ATT448 is a three value switchable. I've carried, but never used both. Not small, but an inch or two shorter than the Shure units.

Ryan's PAD suggestion looks like more reasonable values all around.. A 40 dB pad seems a bit much, and 20k input Z is more like a line input termination.

JR

Whoops... Just reread the OP and sure enough he's padding a phantom powered mic. My brain latched on to the numerous situations at shows where the video guy keeps yelling at the FOH guy to reduce the line level feed to his camera. The camera guys generally think that if the console has a XL connector and his camera has a XL connector - by george that's the same thing! :)

Last edited:

Here's an example of a 40 dB pad built into the male end of a barrel adapter, but you could do the same thing if you were careful inside a regular male XLR connector. This shouldn't be used between a line output and a phantom powered mic input because there is a very real chance that you can damage the line output driver. And as JR suggested, it's rather unlikely you would need a 40 dB pad on any microphone, so use Ryan's values rather than these.

GTD

Attachments

• PAD.jpg
    PAD.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 0