Small subwoofer intended for low profile installation

Phil Graham

Honorary PhD
Mar 10, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Our church has a new space with a 21" tall platform. Low profile architectural subwoofers are rather pricey and/or don't offer much extension. So I decided to knock something together for us to use. The driver in question is a 12" from Parts Express and built like a professional driver with 4 layer voice coil, high Bl, low Cms, and three shorting rings.

The following Google drive link includes full BOM, simple DXFs for a millwork shop, all SolidWorks files, PDFs of CAD drawings, and a few pictures of assembly. We assembled five units with Titebond III, 18ga brads, and some strategic clamping.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwZr3b_1ro5UTjUxYXFBU3FTUzQ?usp=sharing

I will add frequency response, impedance data, and final processing as I have time to measure a completed unit. For now, you should start with a 2nd order Butterworth HP at 33Hz:

If you have any questions about the design, or any trouble with the link, please respond to the thread.

Cheers,

Any pictures of the final product in place? This is very interesting for a space I work in.

Eric, I'll take some tomorrow and add them to Google drive. They're not finished in duratex yet. I actually had people told me the liked the plywood finish, and that we shouldn't finish them in black. Make sure you build them in the good Baltic birch.

Other than a round over bit, the units as assembled are straight out of the flat pack CNC. I'm happy to put you in touch with my cabinet shop, as we already paid the programming fees for the design

I will add frequency response, impedance data, and final processing as I have time to measure a completed unit. For now, you should start with a 2nd order Butterworth HP at 33Hz:

I have updated the Google Drive with SMAART and impedance measurements of an enclosure as installed at the church space. Impedance measurements indicate that the port tuning frequency is 29Hz, and thus the HP filter frequency should be 31Hz.

There should also be a parametric at 205Hz to reduce the peak from the slot loading. I have placed a suggested processing document in the Google Drive