So...What are you carrying as a backup mixer? (or are you?)

frank kayser

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Maryland suburbs of DC
Well, I had my first mixer meltdown this weekend during a soundcheck. Fortunately, I was 1/2 mile from the house, so retrieving another mixer was not a huge issue.

For the job later in the evening, I dragged the old MixWiz along. I know I dodged a bullet earlier in the afternoon.

So obviously, a 16 channel MixWiz won't replace a 48-or-so channel pro desk.

Do you bring a spare?
What?
Running main digital board?
Did you feel any more at risk running a digital board vs. an analog board?

Are digital boards inherently less reliable, or is it that an analog will usually lose a channel or so, while a digital will fail catastrophically?

frank

Re: So...What are you carrying as a backup mixer? (or are you?)

I've never had my Soundcraft si Expression go down, but I have been bringing my Mackie DL1608 with me to every gig. Keep it in the truck just in case.
And I did keep my MixWiz as a backup.

I carry my 19 year old A&H GL2 for backup for my Studiolive and Expression. Neither one has gone down.

I have an 01V96 that lives in the cargo van. But I've felt confident enough in the LS9-32 that I never had to bring 2 board into the venue.

I would hate for the LS9 to die on a gig, because I'm usually running 24 inputs & 10 monitor mixes at the gigs and the band is mostly on DI's (no onstage cabs).

Depends on the level of gig.

In the arena touring market we carried a Mackie 1604vlz as a backup. If the FOH console ever went down the plan was to pipe a band mix to FOH via the monitor desk and then a breakout of the vocal channels. So, you'd get like 6 inputs to work with. Good enough to get through the gig.

In the club touring market, if my touring console went down, we'd use the house desk, or just pipe a monitor mix into the processor at FOH.

In the regional market, we carry a Mackie 1604vlz as a backup. Pull your favorite 16 inputs from the snake and do a rock show. Or if we have the luxury of a monitor desk, send a mon mix to FOH and make it work.

In the bar band market, if the console goes down, we have another beer and go home early.

Evan

My main mixer is a DL1608 and I have been carrying a little 4 XLR 1 line input mixer (Yamaha MG82X) as a backup. I have four "Y" cords so could theoretically get 8 mics into it plus that line input. Actually the DL1608 isn't much larger so I'm thinking of getting another one - I could also then link them for 24 channels if ever needed. I presently also carry a spare power supply for the DL1608 and have two ipads and a spare router.

I have a Mackie SR 24-4 that usually goes along as a back up. But here's a question for everybody. After years of knocking around in the back of the truck or trailer and not being needed, how often do you open it up and run a show on it, just to make sure it still works? I used to try to use it every six months or so, but admittedly I've not been quite so diligent lately. It's probably been at least a year. I'll have to look and see who the unlucky band is this weekend!

It is important to have a Plan B for everything easily at hand.

Even if the gear doesn't fail, things can go wrong where you fail to fault-find the system in the time available. Two days ago I thought I lost a PA amp channel and had to use an alternate amp.

It turns out that when the "failed" amp was borrowed recently the fullrange/crossover switch on the back (which was covered by gaffer tape to stop it being moved) was moved (and the gaffer tape replaced.) Because i "knew" the switch was taped in the right position, **I** failed to find the fault in time. It sure was good to just patch in another amp.

Thanks guys. I was considering a 1608, (form actor, weight, function) but seeing as how many of you are using the same "antiques" as I already own...

I have a Mackie SR 24-4 that usually goes along as a back up. But here's a question for everybody. After years of knocking around in the back of the truck or trailer and not being needed, how often do you open it up and run a show on it, just to make sure it still works? I used to try to use it every six months or so, but admittedly I've not been quite so diligent lately. It's probably been at least a year. I'll have to look and see who the unlucky band is this weekend!

Now, Lee poses a really good question. i.e., My M1604 was in the shop in '11, and dragged it out for a friend last year - lots of noisy pots that cleared up lickety-split. Luckily. but... a good note to run the spare mixer in the show cycle once in a while.

All my speakers are active and can take a mic input directly. I figure if anything ever gets that bad, every source gets its own speaker and they mix themselves :)

I like this as an option - very smart. My QSC has a "two channel mixer" on each cab. - six cabs-12 channels.

We always take a Mackie Onyx 24.4 along with us as backup to our X32.

Carrying a lot of big, heavy iron there. But you won't lose that much functionally (at least channel strips...)

I have an 01V96 that lives in the cargo van. But I've felt confident enough in the LS9-32 that I never had to bring 2 board into the venue.

I would hate for the LS9 to die on a gig, because I'm usually running 24 inputs & 10 monitor mixes at the gigs and the band is mostly on DI's (no onstage cabs).

That's why you paid good money for a tried and true desk. A failure in your system would indeed be a BIG game of pick-up-stix. (shudder)

Depends on the level of gig.

In the arena touring market we carried a Mackie 1604vlz as a backup. If the FOH console ever went down the plan was to pipe a band mix to FOH via the monitor desk and then a breakout of the vocal channels. So, you'd get like 6 inputs to work with. Good enough to get through the gig.

In the club touring market, if my touring console went down, we'd use the house desk, or just pipe a monitor mix into the processor at FOH.

In the regional market, we carry a Mackie 1604vlz as a backup. Pull your favorite 16 inputs from the snake and do a rock show. Or if we have the luxury of a monitor desk, send a mon mix to FOH and make it work.

In the bar band market, if the console goes down, we have another beer and go home early.

Evan

Evan - I think we can all see why you are successful. Out and out pragmatism. 1)A realistic plan 2)inexpensive - knowing what is there, and how to make the best of it
At first I was a bit surprised with the M1604 - but if it's solid... Just has to work, not be fancy. Just focus on getting the job done.

And to say it again - best use of resources in the bar-band market. :lol:

More to chew on.

Thanks again!

frank

For several years our "Plan C" console was a Peavey MK IV-24. I think we used it once, when the PM3000 took on water when the FOH tent collapsed. Not an EZup/pop up canopy, a tent-rental company type... The rain came so hard, so fast, that we didn't get the side walls fully clipped in all the way around. :( The 3K lived - we took it home after pouring the water out of the case - removed every module and gave every control, nook and cranny a low pressure air blast, all connectors un-mated and treated with DeOxIt and then put back. A trip in the oven at 120° for anything that would fit. All done overnight, then we took it on a weekend run. Friday the 3K was taken off the truck, the lid removed and it got to bask in the sunlight while the Peavey did FOH for a small community festival (with some big-boy outboard). We put the lid on later and used it the next day for a national act playing a Make-a-Wish Foundation fundraiser. It worked, but MK IV was back stage, just in case.

My most common spare is an 01v96. If I needed to drive something down and dirty we still have a Yammy MC2404 in the back of the shop, and we have a 12 channel Mackie that's out on rental a lot. Any of them could show up in the nose of the truck.

In a way, it's not just that you have a particular piece of gear but that you have a plan (like Evan lays out) and the cables and kibbles and bits to put it together under pressure. Having the gear with you doesn't mean you'll never need it, but if you're anal enough to do this, you probably don't find yourself swapping consoles very often, either. The old MK IV covered several providers at festivals when nature tested their preparedness. I like the look on a guys face when I answer his question with "why yes, I do know where you can find a spare, dry console; it's in the back of our truck. Send a couple guys over." We put some tarps or visqueen with it, too. Just in case.

Obligatory seasonal announcement - the annual "what do you do if it looks like rain" series of topics, coming soon to this forum. :roll:

Since I have an X32 I use a X32 Rack as backup for the full size X32. It is also a backup for the S16s. But I never needed the backup.
for bar jobs, when the X32 Rack is the main mixer, I use a Mackie 1202 VLZ as backup.

<snip>

My most common spare is an 01v96. If I needed to drive something down and dirty we still have a Yammy MC2404 in the back of the shop, and we have a 12 channel Mackie that's out on rental a lot. Any of them could show up in the nose of the truck.

In a way, it's not just that you have a particular piece of gear but that you have a plan (like Evan lays out) and the cables and kibbles and bits to put it together under pressure. Having the gear with you doesn't mean you'll never need it, but if you're anal enough to do this, you probably don't find yourself swapping consoles very often, either. The old MK IV covered several providers at festivals when nature tested their preparedness. I like the look on a guys face when I answer his question with "why yes, I do know where you can find a spare, dry console; it's in the back of our truck. Send a couple guys over." We put some tarps or visqueen with it, too. Just in case.

Obligatory seasonal announcement - the annual "what do you do if it looks like rain" series of topics, coming soon to this forum. :roll:

Ugh. Don't talk about rain. Pulled down and set up three times Saturday because of rain... The only thing worse than rain is intermittent rain...

My spare came in handy this weekend - Standing there with my 12 channel Presonus 16.0.2 (the 24 was the one that got smoked last week) and a band needing 21 inputs was the last on the list (got a late stage plot) OK, how to stack the consoles, maintain mains and monitors on each. I came up with what I considered a novel solution (you guys probably have done this a million times). Didn't lose any channels on either mixer.

Anyway, with the QSC K speakers - two inputs on each - a rudimentary mixer.
Main output of each console to (16.0.2 stereo, MixWiz mono) to QSC speaker - and a jumper between mono side right to mono side left. Set gain about equal. Mix with two console masters.
Same thing with the monitors - 2 mixes from the Presonus, one mix from the MixWiz. Same setup as the mains.

So a spare can save you even if the main mixer does not go down.

frank

A StudioLive 24.4.2 is my main mixer. I have a 16.0.2 as a backup. I also use the 16.0.2 for small gigs such as open mics etc. I have a smaller Mackie as a backup for it.

All my analog is gone.
X32 for FOH, X32 Rack for monitor world. Mixing Station on a HP Slate 21 Pro, iPad, and PC to mix if the console goes down. A second X32 is my backup for now. Going to get a core to put in with the S16's as the backup cause I will be using the 2nd rack for other stuff.