So, where do you position your laptop

frank kayser

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Maryland suburbs of DC
Hi folks,
Seems mixing anymore is incorporating laptop(s) for one thing or another, i.e., Smaart, lighting, amp control, recording, remote connection to mixer, etc.

So, where do you position your laptop?
Beside the console, save real estate and put above the console (ala DJ), set up on a doghouse (if one is there).

Be interesting to see what everyone is using...

frank

Re: So, where do you position your laptop

I set mine on a cardboard box. It gets it up to the board height, disposable, and cheap.

At the club, on the meter bridge. On the portable system either on the DSP case or on small folding table rucked under the mixer on a keyboard stand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

FOHWings.jpg
OK, this is pretty loungey, but it is what I use. I made the case covers for this all-in-one analog FOH into wings that screw into the case with threaded knobs (giant thumbscrews) and threaded inserts. The struts are pieces of 1/2" electrical metallic tubing which are inserted into wood blocks glued into the case covers. I added an internal brace between the sides of the case to stiffen up the whole assembly. The snake and power cord live in the rolling box beneath and are not uncoiled more than needed.

The laptop is fairly important to this rig as it provides access to both the monitor and house DSP, which provides the output EQ, among other functions.

One day this will be replaced by a digital desk and a folding table and maybe the laptop will turn into a roaming tablet. We'll see.

--Frank

I've got an old monitor arm, the type that you would clamp on to the side of the desk, and it would hold a monitor and a keyboard. Been thinking of modifying it slightly to clamp on to the flightcase and provide a flexible positioning of the laptop. However, since the shows often involves two laptops, two light desks, a cue folder, lamp, cup of coffee, it all tends to reside on a table beside the mixer.

2 solutions for mounting laptop, both from Gibraltar - maker of drum racks.
Option 1- Electronic mounting station - Part # GEMS. Separate stand for mounting a single laptop. Mounts to side of mixer.

Option 2 - Over the mixer shelf that can handle several laptops, ipad, etc.
Need two wide T-rack legs and one rack bar that will cover the width of your mixer.
Attach Electronic Mounting Clamp, Part #SC-GEMC to the rack bar.
Purchase metal closet shelf from local home improvement store, mount upside down with lip up to keep everything on the shelf.

Cool to see what brings out the mother of invention (no, NOT Zappa)

I went digital and subsequently, no racks (not that one precludes the other, but for this small time operator...) Cases and doghouses are logical, no-cost-added solution. No extra effort. An obvious solution where one is so equipped.

I've used a table/desk where I can, but many times, space does not permit. Balancing the laptop on a folding chair really does nothing at all for the workflow.

Gibraltar solutions look good - I like stuff from drum companies as they know how to build strong stands.

I've tried music stands - the K&M looks like it's up to the job, but many I would not trust paper on.

Frank's is a thorough and well implemented solution.

So far, two are in the running:

I set mine on a cardboard box. It gets it up to the board height, disposable, and cheap.

I'm tempted to get one of these and modify the doghouse to accommodate it:
http://www.gatorcases.com/p/224226-173/g-arm-360-casemt

Per's desk mount monitor arm is close to the Gator solution. He also brings up good points about support equipment proliferation, and the need of a table anyway...

I notice no one has mentioned any of the DJ laptop stands (save the Gator) - I was wary of them for height and flexibility of placement reasons. Also, most seem pretty flimsy. Expensive, too. Maybe my instincts were right on this one...

Thanks for sharing some really workable ideas.

frank

Last edited:

In the bag under the console. Too many screens already. ;)

But seriously, almost always next to the console. If they're double stacked it's usually on/in an open rack drawer, or if they're single stacked it's on top of the rack/case . Unless I have a script slide, it does not go on/above the console or doghouse - it will (and has been) knocked off. If I need to have another screen in my view during the show for some reason, I request a monitor on a swing arm mount that can clamp on to the console case.

Attachments

• brian_aerial.jpg
    brian_aerial.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 0