Sound Craft Si Expression 2 Mixing to Fold-Back Monitor Problem.

Davey Adams

Aug 1, 2019
Australia, NSW
Hi all,

I've recently started mixing on the SoundCraft Si Expression 2 at my place of work and have run into some problems trying to mix monitor speakers for stage fold-back units...

I'm currently running the digital card from the desk to a 16 channel stage box with 9 analog outs.
Using the analog outs to run FOH Speakers, subs and monitors for stage fold-backs.

I've gone through the SoundCraft tutorials and followed the steps for creating a mix to send to the stage fold-back monitors but when I switch back to the FOH mix, the 'mix1' going to the stage fold-backs stops.
However, if I select 'SOLO' on the faders that have level in the 'mix1' seem to come back on.

In the video tutorials I see nothing about "SOLOing" the faders. This also means I can't mix more than one stage fold-back speaker, so I'm forced to link the speakers sending out only 1 mix to all fold-back speakers.

Hopefully my problem is clear to anyone that can help me.

Many Thanks,
Dave

I’m not familiar with that particular mixer but from your description it sounds like you are sending the ‘ monitor’ output of the mixer to the stage monitors. Any output labeled monitor on a mixer is referring to monitors in the studio sense, local monitors for the operator. These are designed to follow the cue function on the mixer. You will want to be sure that the stage monitor output is derived from a mix bus or aux bus or whatever term soundcraft is using these days.

Hi all,

I've recently started mixing on the SoundCraft Si Expression 2 at my place of work and have run into some problems trying to mix monitor speakers for stage fold-back units...

I'm currently running the digital card from the desk to a 16 channel stage box with 9 analog outs.
Using the analog outs to run FOH Speakers, subs and monitors for stage fold-backs.

I've gone through the SoundCraft tutorials and followed the steps for creating a mix to send to the stage fold-back monitors but when I switch back to the FOH mix, the 'mix1' going to the stage fold-backs stops.
However, if I select 'SOLO' on the faders that have level in the 'mix1' seem to come back on.

In the video tutorials I see nothing about "SOLOing" the faders. This also means I can't mix more than one stage fold-back speaker, so I'm forced to link the speakers sending out only 1 mix to all fold-back speakers.

Hopefully my problem is clear to anyone that can help me.

Many Thanks,
Dave

I think you need to download the owners manual and pay particular attention to how the MIX outputs are patched (both hardware and in the "soft patch").

Riley is at least 100% correct I think.