Sound cutting out from time to time.

Jimmy Hardin

Junior
Jan 29, 2013
Hi Ya'll , today i did a D.J. event and had a very odd to me thing happen. I hooked everything up and it sounded great. subs where good and punchy. A little while into the event i started noticing that the subs were completely off, but the amp was still on . I messed with it a few mins and it came back on. I had very good voltage going to my gear and everything. So going on with the event i noticed it did it again. so I turned the volume up and then it popped back on. and then a little bit later it went off again . and i noticed that it was coming from the mixer to the amp side because i wasn't getting any signal to the amp. i have to have a adapter for my mains on this mixer so i changed that and changed it from the right side to the Aux send and still the same thing. So what i am wondering if its the snake cord that i have going to my effects to my amp or is it the mixer? the mixer is a yamaha MG102C and the amp is a Behringer EPX2000. Thanks in advance for your input .

Since you changed outputs and it was still happening it could be the cables or amp. Is there a chance you were driving them too hard and the amp was going into protect?

No , nothing was clipping at all mains or subs. The clip lights never came on at any time. I am also thinking that it was the cable, I'm not really sure about it being the amp per say cause it never showed any signs of it even acting like it was fixing to malfunction at all.

Sent from my iPhone

UPDATE .........

I think I found out problem, it was the crossover!

I started down the chain and started with the amp and just used the crossovers that came in the speakers , it worked perfectly. so then i added the rackmount crossover that i was using and deactivated the ones in the speakers, plugged it in and turned up the volume and just a little bit of volume came out at nearly wide open and then turned it back a little and gave the crossover a few little taps and wah lah it popped on loud.

Nice job. You going to fix it or ditch it? Sounds like just a bad potentiometer.

It just needed cleaning at the output jack it's a xlr input but 1/4 inch output. And from what i am gathering it just needed cleaning . I cleaned it then plugged it up and gave it a few harder taps while playing music and couldn't get it to react the way it did before I cleaned it. So maybe that's all that was wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone