Soundcraft SI 2

Randy Gartner

Junior
Jan 12, 2011
Pennsylvania
randygartnersound.com
I checked for product reviews on here and on PSW and found nothing.Has anyone worked on this console or have you seen any reviews anywhere else? It looks like a good product at a good price.If you have used this console and also used the A&H Ilive, how do the 2 compare? I like the fact that the SI has XLR inputs unlike the A&H.

Re: Soundcraft SI 2

The user interface is a nightmare. By taking away the "central screen" they have made you look at dozens of tiny screens along the length of the entire console to get the information you need, and any control can mean anything. Absolutely no muscle memory, and a lot of squinting. When people only talk about how much a product costs, that tells me a lot about why they think it's good.

The iLive, on the other hand, is the sleeper of the last few years. Great console, well thought out control surface, surprisingly flexible, and with the T it's not even expensive. I don't know where you saw an Ilive without XLR outs, all the ones I've seen had XLR I/O.

Can't speak to the Soundcraft but, I Love our iLive T system for all the reasons Mr. Prescott mentioned including being able to use an iPad to mix with roaming around or my iPhone in a pinch.

Last edited:

The user interface is a nightmare. By taking away the "central screen" they have made you look at dozens of tiny screens along the length of the entire console to get the information you need, and any control can mean anything. Absolutely no muscle memory, and a lot of squinting.

When people only talk about how much a product costs, that tells me a lot about why they think it's good.

The iLive, on the other hand, is the sleeper of the last few years. Great console, well thought out control surface, surprisingly flexible, and with the T it's not even expensive. I don't know where you saw an Ilive without XLR outs, all the ones I've seen had XLR I/O.

Bennet,those are the kind of things I want to hear.I knew the VI series got some rave reviews and I was hoping the SI would be of the same linage as the VI. Apparently not. I wasn't only talking price,it was just an observation.If the product sucks,it doesn't matter how cheap it is. On the other hand,if I can't afford it,it's no use to me either. I mentioned XLR inputs,not outputs. I realize the Ilive's stage rack definately has many advantages,but also raises the cost. I will take another look at the A&H line. Thanks.

Bennet,those are the kind of things I want to hear.I knew the VI series got some rave reviews and I was hoping the SI would be of the same linage as the VI. Apparently not. I wasn't only talking price,it was just an observation.If the product sucks,it doesn't matter how cheap it is. On the other hand,if I can't afford it,it's no use to me either. I mentioned XLR inputs,not outputs. I realize the Ilive's stage rack definately has many advantages,but also raises the cost. I will take another look at the A&H line. Thanks.

Hi Randy, there is a big concept with the A&H that I don't think you've understood yet.

Think of a computer - you've got the box, screen keyboard and mouse. All of the processing is done in the box. No box, no computer.

With the ilive the stage rack IS the box. You don't even need the "console" which is acting as a screen, keyboard and mouse. Sure there is some IO on it as well for local cd player, external effects, solo and what-not, but the mixing takes place in the rack.

No stage rack, no mixer.

So whilst it does raise the cost of the system.. it does mean that without it, you don't have a working system.

As stated in the ipad thread, it's possible to use the editor software and the rack without the console. You can't use soley the ipad app because there are some things it does not control. But you could use editor + ipad if you were so inclined.

If I remember correctly, there is a guy in NZ who uses a console surface at FOH and several notebooks side of stage to act as a monitor console; with everything being done in the one stage rack.

Regards,

andrew

Hey Randy,

Im an Si3 user, and its the same as the SI2 but less channels, I have commented a few times on the old PSW about it, could be worth a look at.

The Si desks can work 2 ways you can have your channel strip come across the desk above the channels or you can set the master section in the center to display your eq and dynamics all the time. and keep your across the fader encoders as gain pots or access to HP/LP filters which is how I use the board. keeping your center section as your master channel.

I have found I am faster to responding to things than the desk is. sometime pushing a fader up and waiting a second or 2 before the audio catches up.

Sound quality. It sounds good. but its big and heavy in comparison to the Ilive and you dont get the digital multi core.

With the Ilive having the brain and surface separate you can use cat5 as your multi leaving the brain at the stage end. also this allows you to easily add a 2nd surface or laptop to be running the monitor mix separately at stage end (common gain control for both desks mine you). This is how I encountered the iLive on a festival.

The iLive was really easy to use, I had never used one, or even looked at one and was fine in mins of getting my hands on the surface.

I have yet to set one up from scratch but that looks really easy to set up.

favorite of the two would have to go to the iLive. Purely because I hooked my tablet up too it and was on stage with the bands during the changeover sorting out the monitors right next to them.

Kim