Soundcraft UI16 Tips

Bob Hage

Mar 1, 2022
PA
I've been using the Soundcraft UI16 for about 6 years now. People keep asking me the same questions so I've made some quickie videos about it. Not trying to sell anything, just trying to help. This one deals with setting up the extra AUX sends, and adding two additional MIC channels. There may be some better ideas out there for this as well.

I've been using the Soundcraft UI16 for about 6 years now. People keep asking me the same questions so I've made some quickie videos about it. Not trying to sell anything, just trying to help. This one deals with setting up the extra AUX sends, and adding two additional MIC channels. There may be some better ideas out there for this as well.
It's important to note the 2 added outs are not "Balanced Outs" but "Unbalanced Out". You would not want to run these down a long run. 20 feet or so may be ok. Also, if you go from this to an amp the channel that used Pin 3 as Positive it would feed an amp that way but polarity reversed if the same signal is going out the 2 Auxes. If this Pin 3 out was feeding a speaker and the send with Pin 2 was feeding another and if the 2 speakers were close by you may get some phase issues if the same signal is coming out of both outputs.

Hi Bob,
I wonder if you wouldn't mind assisting a newbie? I've had the UI16 for about 4yrs I guess... but I have limited knowledge on tech - something I'm trying to address (!)
So, here's the thing... I'm seeking to expand the number of instruments I can run into my RC300 looper. Trying to ascertain whether I can isolate or group several specific channels to a separate output - into my RC300 looper - back into the mixer - and out to FOH without creating a feedback loop.
I've watched so many Youtube clips but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. This clip suggests a grouped function with another mixer, but I can't work out if / how to do this with the IU16.
Any advice you could offer would be AMAZING. Thanks!

Hmm. You could plug an instrument into channel 1, pull the fader for that channel all the way down, and then turn up that instrument in AUX 1. Connect the AUX 1 output to one of the channels in your looper. Do the same with another instrument in channel 2, using AUX 2 as the output to the looper. Then connect the output of the looper to say channel 12, or two channels if you want stereo. Use the fader on that channel to feed FOH. It likely will be tricky getting all the gains right. I've never messed with a looper so likely there is a more elegant solution. Somebody?

For the looper question, how many inputs does your looper have?
As Bob said take the needed input channels, assign them to an aux and use the aux output
to feed the looper input, if your looper has multiple inputs use another aux with different inputs.

On the looper return channels you do not want to turn up any aux send that feeds back into a
looper input, doing that would create a feedback loop.

If you want the direct input source to also be in the main PA as you play and recording it in the looper
you would need to have the main fader level turned up.
Pre or post fade fade aux sends to the looper would depend if you want the main mix level of the input
channels to be reflected into the looper tracking recording.