Source for rackmount power cable splitters?

Re: Source for rackmount power cable splitters?

Hi Y'all,

Does the Code Book say anything about running three 16ga or 18ga cables out of one Edison male?
Three 16ga wires twisted together would still be smaller than a single 10ga wire.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Other than the 2 way splitters on amazon, what is a good source for say a 3-way splitter for the "IEC" power cables for rack gear when power conditioner outlets are at a premium?

Basically a 3 way split of this: Amazon.com: Hosa Dual IEC Power Cable - 1.5 Foot: Electronics

Thanks!

Not sure if it's code or not, but simply hacking off the edison connector and then combining multiple cables into a single plug is something I do quite frequently. It allows me to have the exact length I need. With a decent plug, you can easily have 4 IEC cords coming out of a single outlet that way.

I use these. They work OK if all your IEC connectors are on the same side. Get at least one longer one (2-3'), 12" inches can be difficult to get from your outlet to the first rack device. Also, the right angle feed coming out of the IEC can be a PITA for some devices, the cable can end up covering other connectors. They weren't as useful as I had hoped, lots of situations were they get in the way.

Hi Y'all,

Does the Code Book say anything about running three 16ga or 18ga cables out of one Edison male?
Three 16ga wires twisted together would still be smaller than a single 10ga wire.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Although, I have never researched nor verified such a code in the NEC, I have been told that such a practice is NOT acceptible. You're essentially using the connector as a junction-box, a use for which it was not intended.

Of course, how often do inspectors dig around in the back of an audio rack?

R~

Although, I have never researched nor verified such a code in the NEC, I have been told that such a practice is NOT acceptible. You're essentially using the connector as a junction-box, a use for which it was not intended.

Of course, how often do inspectors dig around in the back of an audio rack?

R~

I have built several quad boxes and used an extra knockout with a cord grip to run 4 iec cables out of the side. That gives you 4 edisons and 4 iec's that terminate into one male edison into the power conditioner. I would make 2 of them and screw one to each side of the rack. Really handy....