Speakers and humidity?

Chris Gruber

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Rodgers-town, Wisco
What are the dangers of using speakers in high humidity environments such as the pool area of a hotel resort? I figured for the amps and what not I will put them in one of the hotel rooms that adjoin the pool and then put a dehumidifier in there with them. Am I over thinking this? This will be a 32 hour EDM party. What I'm worried about is the paper cones. Thanks. Chris

Re: Speakers and humidity?

Like Phil, I wouldn't be worried about the humidity - direct contact with water would be my concern. Heck, those voice coils might even get warm enough to dry the cones out from the inside of the loudspeaker.

I say just put some thin trash bags over them if you're that worried...I don't think anyone will complain about not having enough HF...it's usually the LF that they want anyway.

Re: Speakers and humidity?

What are the dangers of using speakers in high humidity environments such as the pool area of a hotel resort? I figured for the amps and what not I will put them in one of the hotel rooms that adjoin the pool and then put a dehumidifier in there with them. Am I over thinking this? This will be a 32 hour EDM party. What I'm worried about is the paper cones. Thanks. Chris
Put a newspaper in the pool environment for 32 hours.
If you notice it falls apart when you pick it up after that time, skip the gig.

As others have said, don't worry about it other than soaking, or speakers falling in the pool.