Speakers on non-tripod stands

Rafi Singer

Freshman
Hey all,

I recently A1'ed a gig where the client had a huge aversion to the look of ANY speakers. Unfortunately, the solution that resulted was a pair of Bose M12's. Fun times were had. It got me thinking about aesthetics, though. EAW JF80's and Meyer UPM-2P's probably would have fit the bill much better, but that would still leave the ugliness of the tripod base, dressed with drape or otherwise. Have any of you had any luck doing things like mounting speakers to something like a weighted base/schedule 40 pipe for a lower profile look? Do you have other solutions?

Last edited:
I bought some mic stand to 35mm adapters but they aren't rated for much weight - I've only used them with Behringer B208D's. One could probably buy some aluminum plate and invert mount speaker pole adapters to them?

I've successfully used truss pedestals in the past, but those aren't exactly low profile (although they will support larger speakers than tripods stands). I've also used compact subwoofers with poles in place of tripodes, for a somewhat cleaner look, and a broader frequency response than a compact top box alone. For something like a JF80 or UPM, if you've got a truss mount for the box, you could certainly use standard pipe-and-base for the speaker, but I'd be a bit more concerned with larger speakers.

Hey all,

I recently A1'ed a gig where the client had a huge aversion to the look of ANY speakers. Unfortunately, the solution that resulted was a pair of Bose M12's. Fun times were had. It got me thinking about aesthetics, though. EAW JF80's and Meyer UPM-2P's probably would have fit the bill much better, but that would still leave the ugliness of the tripod base, dressed with drape or otherwise. Have any of you had any luck doing things like mounting speakers to something like a weighted base/schedule 40 pipe for a lower profile look? Do you have other solutions?

Wanted audio, hated the speakers...Wedding Gig??

I would stuff a line array, the stick kind, in a lighting totem, cover it with a sock and stick a motion light on top. They do not mind seeing what is holding up the light or the lights themselves, but let a speaker be seen, Oh my.

Last edited:
Hey all,
Pipe and base is commonly used in NY theater situations. It is far heavier than aluminum tripods, so is less seen where you load in and out every day, but it does look better, and can be painted whatever color you need. 1.5" Schedule 40 pipe with threaded ends and 50lb bases should be available for rent from pretty much any lighting shop. You make mounting plates by bolting or welding a plate to a pipe nipple or coupler.

Mac

Attachments

• 65484501fefc4b5ffc30bbe2285aed86-productpage_orig.jpg
    65484501fefc4b5ffc30bbe2285aed86-productpage_orig.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Ron Kimball