Spittin' in the Wind

Re: Spittin' in the Wind

Breathtaking.

Welcome to something our country does its best to shield you from young lady - consequences.

Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen. - YouTube

Sorry for the language...

Because I spend way too much time on that stupid site I saw this earlier today. Not surprising that most of the comments are in favor of his parenting style. Every parent has wanted to do things like this before. Wanting to do it - doing it - doing it on video on the webz - is 3 different things. I've done some stupid shit but would never do that. Reading between the lines I see a control freak dad that uses his tuff guy with a gun attitude to intimidate his family. Correct me if I'm wrong here - hollow points are illegal in all 50 states??

Correct me if I'm wrong here - hollow points are illegal in all 50 states?

You are wrong here. They are illegal only in New Jersey. Do not confuse that buzzword with any added danger, a hollow point bullet is just as dangerous as a "normal" round nose full metal jacket from the perspective of the shootee... it is, however, significantly less dangerous for anyone standing behind them. I am unimpressed with the idea of them exploding, if they are they clearly aren't more powerful for it. I have seen exploding bullets marketed before, marketed being the key word.

My only real problem with that video is that carrying a 1911 pistol loaded and uncocked is dangerous. Furthermore, I dare you to try and cock that pistol with one hand as he did in that video without violating several gun safety rules (e.g. keep your finger out of the trigger guard, don't point the gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy (like your foot)).

Because I spend way too much time on that stupid site I saw this earlier today. Not surprising that most of the comments are in favor of his parenting style. Every parent has wanted to do things like this before. Wanting to do it - doing it - doing it on video on the webz - is 3 different things. I've done some stupid shit but would never do that. Reading between the lines I see a control freak dad that uses his tuff guy with a gun attitude to intimidate his family.

I agree, this guy rants about how his kid disobeys him, doesn't respect him, and then he puts this video on the net, not showing her any respect? I suppose he missed parenting 101.

And yes, I'd be pissed too, we'd all be pissed if our kid wrote some crap about us behind our backs, but, a good, honest, respectful parent doesn't act like a nut and destroy property that he'd just got done ranting about the time and cost of upgrading.

Taking the computer away and her net access was punishment, destroying a computer, that some other poor kid may want, is just bullying and wasteful.

No wonder she's posting about crap about her father... If you act like an ass, your kids will follow your example.
Hammer

I'm actually going to defend this guy, I don't agree that destroying it was necessarily but selling it would have been just as good. He wasn't acting like an ass just getting a point accross that most parents are too afraid to say anything to their kids about. You can dislike your parents but to post on facebook on it and claim that you have to do all this crap thats not true. its bull on the kids part sorry..

I'd love to post my opinions about parenting but that would be the height of arrogance, I have no children and no first hand experience.

I do have experience with shooting something when angry and can testify that it works wonders. When I was still a relatively new guy at Peavey I got more than a little frustrated by faint support from the main factory. One day I borrowed the plant maintenance guy's shotgun that he displayed proudly in his truck gun rack, and went out behind the factory to kill my thermos. It took me two shots to finish it off, but I sure felt better, and strangely after that I got a little better support (and strange looks) from the factory. :).

Funny thing after that, he stopped carrying his shotgun to work. :) I wonder why?

JR

I have no issue with the posting of the video on facebook, but he's teaching that it's okay to use a gun to solve problems better solved with non violent means. Why not wipe the hard drive and give the computer to charity? It's still gone. If you must destroy the computer, then do it in a more creative way. Find a steam roller and have them crush it. Post the vid in slow motion.

The one message the daughter will receive from this is: It's okay to use guns when you're really really really mad. That's really not what she needs to learn right now.

I'd love to post my opinions about parenting but that would be the height of arrogance, I have no children and no first hand experience.

I do have experience with shooting something when angry and can testify that it works wonders...

You obviously know far more about parenting than you let on.
You should have posted a sign over your door at Peavey that said: Remember the Thermos!

Nah I didn't have to say anything. Word got around pretty quickly that the new Yankee was friggin crazy...

Maybe we better give him what he asked for. :)

JR

PS: MS had a reputation for unsolved murders, but usually it was some yankee that needed killin, not a yankee with a shotgun. Their worst nightmare. :)

That video is not cool. The guy is being rewarded (by becoming a YT celeb) for acting out our national mental illness: if you don't like something, shoot it. Hard to argue he was using his firearm in self defense, the laptop was clearly unarmed. This well-meaning but misguided father has obviously been ineffective in some aspects of parenting, given his daughter's rebellious behavior, but as parents we all have our weaknesses. Not a big deal, happens all the time, especially with teens. One approach doesn't work, you try another approach to teaching your kids better attitudes and behavior. When they are adolescents, you often have to try a lot of approaches. It gets difficult at times, but patience, perseverence and love usually pay off in the long term.

This guy picked a parenting strategy that is bound to backfire and teach her some unintended lessons that she will remember for a long time. His actions will certainly make his daughter unhappy, as he intended, but what else will she learn? When you get too frustrated, it's ok to give up and get violent. Destruction of valuable property is ok if you paid for it, and especially to make a point. Rational one-on-one discussions don't work and aren't worth the effort, while infantile destructive expressions of anger, with some clever theatrics, can be pawned off as "tough love" and can get you 15 million hits on YT and bring you fame and glory. Guns and hollowpoint bullets are cool. Leaving home while in high school is cool.

Dad left home while in high school, and probably so will his daughter. She seems to be even less prepared to make it on her own than he was at her age. Dad will have failed big time as a parent and probably so will his daughter. Not a genetic problem, just a familial problem. Dad, stop using your dick for brains, break the vicious cycle of failed parenting, and figure out a more effective way to teach your kids how to behave like decent humans not spoiled brats.

This whole thing just reeks of mental illness.

A 15 year old did a bratty thing, shocker. However I would think that someone like him, who claims to have worked his ass of at that age, would be happy to see that his child doesn't have to go through the same sort of thing. I've heard many times "What parent doesn't want their child to have a better life than they did?"

Judging by that video I'd be inclined to think that he's a jackass who maybe does work her a bit too hard. Washing the floors every single day and making everyone's beds? Can't that guy make his own bed when he wakes up? That's a bit silly.

Her description of the chores was quite different from his description of her chores.
She has to make her bed, not his bed or anyone else that lives there.
Similar differences between his description and hers on the other chores.

The family is probably going to end up on Jerry Springer

This whole thing just reeks of mental illness.

A 15 year old did a bratty thing, shocker. However I would think that someone like him, who claims to have worked his ass of at that age, would be happy to see that his child doesn't have to go through the same sort of thing. I've heard many times "What parent doesn't want their child to have a better life than they did?"

Judging by that video I'd be inclined to think that he's a jackass who maybe does work her a bit too hard. Washing the floors every single day and making everyone's beds? Can't that guy make his own bed when he wakes up? That's a bit silly.

Hello

I think there's more going on here than we're hearing about. All kids can be bratty especially in those teen years, but, mean enough to write some crap about their own Father & Mother on a Facebook page? She knows that it'll get back to her parents....it was some acting-out for help.

He seems to come-off as a "Do everything as I say", controlling Father...and with a Step-Mother in the house... who knows what's happening or being said in that household. That gun BS could land him in a jail cell if some over-zealous prosecutor decides that he's using the shooting of the computer as a means to intimidate his kid.

I really didn't have a problem with the video...until he started to air the dirty laundry on the web, followed by the computer thing. I thought we as Parents are supposed to love and support our kids, not embarass them, or intimidate them.

I've had only a very few problems with my Kids, but, never anything along the lines of this... Maybe, I've been lucky, or maybe I showed them the respect, love, and feelings of security that Kids need ?

Almost every Kid I've ever came across that had Drug or Alcohol problems, or that has quit high-school, or that's a run-away, or that has been in trouble with the Law more than once.... has had some major family issues.

Whatever's going on in that House.... I hope they can clean it up and clear it up.

Hammer

You are wrong here. They are illegal only in New Jersey. Do not confuse that buzzword with any added danger, a hollow point bullet is just as dangerous as a "normal" round nose full metal jacket from the perspective of the shootee... it is, however, significantly less dangerous for anyone standing behind them. I am unimpressed with the idea of them exploding, if they are they clearly aren't more powerful for it. I have seen exploding bullets marketed before, marketed being the key word.

My only real problem with that video is that carrying a 1911 pistol loaded and uncocked is dangerous. Furthermore, I dare you to try and cock that pistol with one hand as he did in that video without violating several gun safety rules (e.g. keep your finger out of the trigger guard, don't point the gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy (like your foot)).

Thanks Bennett - now I'll ask the folks in other states what they know about hollow point bullets? I've been living under rocks for a long time but the last I heard hollow points were illegal. Maybe that changed while I was under my rock or maybe they still are or maybe they are illegal here in Florida or??? Anybody else out there know about hollow points? (Your comments regarding his gun handling are dead on)

Hello

I think there's more going on here than we're hearing about. All kids can be bratty especially in those teen years, but, mean enough to write some crap about their own Father & Mother on a Facebook page? She knows that it'll get back to her parents....it was some acting-out for help.

He seems to come-off as a "Do everything as I say", controlling Father...and with a Step-Mother in the house... who knows what's happening or being said in that household. That gun BS could land him in a jail cell if some over-zealous prosecutor decides that he's using the shooting of the computer as a means to intimidate his kid.

I really didn't have a problem with the video...until he started to air the dirty laundry on the web, followed by the computer thing. I thought we as Parents are supposed to love and support our kids, not embarass them, or intimidate them.

I've had only a very few problems with my Kids, but, never anything along the lines of this... Maybe, I've been lucky, or maybe I showed them the respect, love, and feelings of security that Kids need ?

Almost every Kid I've ever came across that had Drug or Alcohol problems, or that has quit high-school, or that's a run-away, or that has been in trouble with the Law more than once.... has had some major family issues.

Whatever's going on in that House.... I hope they can clean it up and clear it up.

Hammer

You and I think alike regarding what we think of this nut job. What I find disturbing is the thousands of positive comments about this clip.

Thanks Bennett - now I'll ask the folks in other states what they know about hollow point bullets? I've been living under rocks for a long time but the last I heard hollow points were illegal. Maybe that changed while I was under my rock or maybe they still are or maybe they are illegal here in Florida or??? Anybody else out there know about hollow points? (Your comments regarding his gun handling are dead on)

I'll just talk to myself here and post what the WIKI folks are saying - hmmm.... Hollow-point bullet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gene,

Florida has some of the best protection of civil rights for gun owners in the US, hollow points are definitely not illegal there and probably encouraged! They were one of the first states to introduce shall issue concealed carry legislation, back in the late 1980s, and are literally a case study of the benefits re: contact crime of that legislation. I have a Florida CCW myself, it's one of the best bargains out there, good for seven years, only $70 or so, and recognized by 38 other states.

People like hollow points for the same reason the police and hunters do... when they hit a fleshy target they expand hydraulically, producing wounds of extremely predictable depth and width, and they deposit all of their energy into that target. Criminals shot with hollow points are stopped sooner, and may need to be shot fewer times which may cause better survivability after the critical event is over.

You and I think alike regarding what we think of this nut job. What I find disturbing is the thousands of positive comments about this clip.

I think the positive comments speak to parent's frustration in dealing with smart-assed kids. Unfortunately, they need to be asking themselves how their kids got that way; 15 or 16 is a little late in the game to initiate changes.

Tim "raised other people's delinquents for a living in a prior life" Mc

Hollows are perfectly legal in CT. Anything I own for defense is loaded with them. (Intentionally being nebulous here).

As far as I know hollow points are "illegal" in war? Not sure why though.

Hollows are perfectly legal in CT. Anything I own for defense is loaded with them. (Intentionally being nebulous here).

As far as I know hollow points are "illegal" in war? Not sure why though.

I'm not sure that much ammo is "illegal" in war (war should be illegal, and probably is, depleted uranium rounds (for armor piercing) seem nasty?).

Regarding HP, in war you are generally not dealing at close range fighting (hopefully) and not trying to kill the enemy as much as wound them... If you kill the guy, the other side is only down one fighter, while if you wound him, it takes two or three out of the fight while they try to keep him alive. Simple military math... 2x or 3x the short term advantage per hit.

JR

PS: I won't share my personal ammo choices or much else publicly... who me?