Split snake gain loss question

Re: Split snake gain loss question

Assuming that all inputs dropped the same amount, he mix would be intact if it were not for plug in dynamics processors that don't have threshold's based on db, or don't even thresholds, only input and output levels. Half of the inputs are in a show file that I've been using and refining for years. If I have to start over using only channel or more modern compressors, so be it, but that would certainly be extra work. Or turn up input gains 3 db or so, which is probably what I'll do.

Assuming that all inputs dropped the same amount, he mix would be intact if it were not for plug in dynamics processors that don't have threshold's based on db, or don't even thresholds, only input and output levels. Half of the inputs are in a show file that I've been using and refining for years. If I have to start over using only channel or more modern compressors, so be it, but that would certainly be extra work. Or turn up input gains 3 db or so, which is probably what I'll do.

I think JR's point was that not all the inputs will drop the same amount. How the inputs react is based on impedance, and one of the impedances in the mix is the output impedance of the microphones, which are not all the same.

In the end, I think you may be causing yourself undue stress over this. The changes will be close to the same, and they will be particularly small compared to the different sound on stage due to the theater and FOH sound system.

Mac

Reactions: Guy Graham

Or look at the bright side. At least when the new consoles are added-the levels will DROP-rather than increase.

So if some channels are close to clipping, they would be a little less likely to clip.
In any situation, the levels should be adjusted accordingly. So turning them up a couple of dB is just part of the process

Just put three mics on everything, one feeding each console. No splits needed :)

Jason