SRX728s and IT8000

Chris Delcambre

Freshman
Mar 11, 2013
Hi Guys,

Question for you out there that have SRX728 and IT8000 powering them...

If you are running 4 SRX728 subs a side with 2 IT8000 (4 ohm load on each amp channel) powering each side for a moderate country show OUTSIDE.... What would your est max crowd be???

Chris

Re: SRX728s and IT8000

Hi Guys,

Question for you out there that have SRX728 and IT8000 powering them...

If you are running 4 SRX728 subs a side with 2 IT8000 (4 ohm load on each amp channel) powering each side for a moderate country show OUTSIDE.... What would your est max crowd be???

Chris

I can't estimate crowd, but the area we covered with 4 VerTec 4880/side was 190' long by 150' deep. PA was 8 VerTec 4889/side with version 4 processing. Venue was county fairgrounds grandstand. A "band you've heard of" with a string of radio and MTV hits from the 1980's. 728s are very similar to the 4880 in output and deployment.

We have a similar rig, 4x728 per side each running off a bridged Macrotech 2400 (so underpowered by most standards), for tops we are using 725s. I don't have firsthand knowledge of the Versarray's capabilities, but I would think you should be set for a few thousand outside assuming it's not an A level artist.

We had a "Canadian famous" country artist last summer that was supposed to draw 3-5000, the actual number ended up being several times that. We got through the gig with no blown components, but not a situation I would want to purposely walk into.

I think you would good for up to a few thousand as far as subs at decent levels. What are you estimating the size of the target audience to be?

I think you would good for up to a few thousand as far as subs at decent levels. What are you estimating the size of the target audience to be?

I would say our max target would be 6-7000 outdoors (on a show where someone draws more than expected) but our normal crowd 3500-5000 outdoors...

Am I off on expecting that??? The way I came about these numbers is a company in Louisiana does some festivals around here and they use 4 a side with itech 8000 amps (not sure what configuration... if they are bridged or stereo, 4 or 8 ohms a channel, etc) and they cover a 6-7000 people easy...

I would say our max target would be 6-7000 outdoors (on a show where someone draws more than expected) but our normal crowd 3500-5000 outdoors...

Am I off on expecting that??? The way I came about these numbers is a company in Louisiana does some festivals around here and they use 4 a side with itech 8000 amps (not sure what configuration... if they are bridged or stereo, 4 or 8 ohms a channel, etc) and they cover a 6-7000 people easy...

It's all about expectation as far as the impact of the low end you're looking for. Is it doable for a crowd up to 7k? Sure. Just not the "ball rattling" low end you would expect at say a Soundgarden show, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for anyhow :) You said "moderate country" and I think you would be ok.

I guarantee they aren't bridging IT8Ks and feeding a single 728. Not unless they have a reconing guy on staff....

But I respond to again assert that you don't cover people, you cover AREA. How many folks are contained inside that area depends on their comfort level. Yeah, I know that promoters talk about the size of the audience but that's because they're looking at your fee as the cost-per-ticket-buyer. You can do 1 sub for 2,000 people if you can squeeze them into a small enough space...