State of the art for case foam

drew gandy

Junior
Jul 17, 2011
Chicago
A couple times a year someone asks about where to buy case foam. The purpose of my post is to ask about the state of the art for case foam. Will there come a day when foam rot is no longer a problem?

Re: State of the art for case foam

I have not experienced any foam rot on closed cell foam since moving to New Mexico :^).

By rot do you mean foam degradation or stuff growing in and/or on the foam?

I have not experienced any foam rot on closed cell foam since moving to New Mexico :^).

By rot do you mean foam degradation or stuff growing in and/or on the foam?
I could be wrong-but feel some of it has to do with the number of "solvents" around. That could be in the air from vehicle emmissions or in a shop that uses solvents (paint etc).

I have noticed that the foam surround on stereo speakers rots away much faster on speakers that are used in auto repair shops, than those used at home. And people that live way away from others (in the mountains etc) have the foam last a lot longer.

Or so it seamed back when I was in the speaker reconing business and did quite a few "refoaming jobs".

Maybe it is less where you live because there are less people around-so less "human stuff" causing the rot.

A couple times a year someone asks about where to buy case foam. The purpose of my post is to ask about the state of the art for case foam. Will there come a day when foam rot is no longer a problem?

I'm not sure what the state of the art is, but I buy my foam of all types from Hull Street Outlet on Route 1 on the East Coast of the USA in RVA. They are a military surplus store that sells office furniture, camping/rain gear, foam of all densities, giant tarps and other assorted man stuff. Last time I went I bought enough foam to foam out a mixer case and sound proof my drum shed room and studio. The foam is not cheap and neither are the tarps, but they are cheaper than buying the brand name stuff. I think I spent a few hundred dollars in there all together for the tarps and foam. I try not to hold onto cases long enough for them to rot. I like to keep my inventory flowing as well at least in good times.