Static Electricity Problem with Digital Snake

Re: Static Electricity Problem with Digital Snake

Well I used the rig last night and we had static again. But this time it drained to ground. So it must have been a bad ground on one of the circuits I was using at that ballroom gig. So this is not a Behringer problem.

Is the console in a plastic case or metal? Is the satge box in a plastic case or metal/ Do either or both have a fan in them?If so,this could be the cause of the static electricty. Years ago I wired a wood shop that had plastic pipe for the dust collector.The air moving across the plastic caused static build up.The manufacturer had a solution but I don't remember exactly what it was but it solved the problem.
More reading about this than anyone can possibly care about can be found on Bill Pentz's excellent dust collection site. He advocates PVC ducting for dust collection, and addresses both the static electricity and explosion elements.
Bill's Cyclone Dust Collection Research - Home Page

More reading about this than anyone can possibly care about can be found on Bill Pentz's excellent dust collection site. He advocates PVC ducting for dust collection, and addresses both the static electricity and explosion elements.
Bill's Cyclone Dust Collection Research - Home Page

Explosions???? They never told me it would blow up!!!!

In my younger days I worked for a firm which built agricultural buildings/facilities such as grain dryers, feed mills, truck scales, water towers and the like. I have a vivid memory of going with one of the higher-ups to a grain mill after a dust explosion. The 1/4" steel corrugated roofing panels ballooned out, snapped off all the rivets and came down like rain in the empty lot surrounding the place.

total havoc

Explosions???? They never told me it would blow up!!!!

In my younger days I worked for a firm which built agricultural buildings/facilities such as grain dryers, feed mills, truck scales, water towers and the like. I have a vivid memory of going with one of the higher-ups to a grain mill after a dust explosion. The 1/4" steel corrugated roofing panels ballooned out, snapped off all the rivets and came down like rain in the empty lot surrounding the place.

total havoc
You and I both live in the Mill City - I went to the Mill City Museum a few years ago (tagline: The most explosive museum ever, or something like that), and they talked about the explosion that happened there. Scary stuff, but significantly different than your home dust collector in terms of particle size, density, and available ignition sources.

You and I both live in the Mill City - I went to the Mill City Museum a few years ago (tagline: The most explosive museum ever, or something like that), and they talked about the explosion that happened there. Scary stuff, but significantly different than your home dust collector in terms of particle size, density, and available ignition sources.

I used to have a buddy that worked maintenance in a local flour mill. The things they went through with their tools was about the same as working in a coal mine. Talk about a scared bunch of puppies.......
Explosions were a real, calculated risk in the mill. For us sitting around the kitchen making pies or cookies, fire and explosion never come to mind when handling a 5 lb. bag of flour.
Oh well, live and learn.

Well I used the rig last night and we had static again. But this time it drained to ground. So it must have been a bad ground on one of the circuits I was using at that ballroom gig. So this is not a Behringer problem.

Well, here's the thing about static discharges: The better the ground connection is, the nastier you'll get zapped. Essentially, getting a static shock kinda assures you that your gear is grounded. Don't know why your new ground connection would solve the issue.

Well, here's the thing about static discharges: The better the ground connection is, the nastier you'll get zapped. Essentially, getting a static shock kinda assures you that your gear is grounded. Don't know why your new ground connection would solve the issue.

The new ground is a chassis ground?

The cheap fix here is to make yourself a Personal Grounding Surface (PGS, patent pending, all rights reserved, think these words and I sue!) on or by the console. Just have a resistor in the range of 1Mohm connected between ground and something you can touch before touching the console.