Stuck NL4's

Re: Stuck NL4's

What do you guys use to loosen up NL4's that are hard to unlatch? I was thinking WD40 but I've heard it'll ruin some plastics.
I suspect it's been inserted upside down.

I use a 3/4" end wrench, or large vise-grips, or channel lock pliers. Figure the cord end and jack are toast. The only reason I uncouple them before replacing them is the facilitate the replacement.

If it hasn't been inserted upside down, and is being difficult to unlatch, then you got me.

I use a 3/4" end wrench, or large vise-grips, or channel lock pliers. Figure the cord end and jack are toast. The only reason I uncouple them before replacing them is the facilitate the replacement.

If it hasn't been inserted upside down, and is being difficult to unlatch, then you got me.

Chinese clone? Replace it with a real one.

The pull back latch is what I was referring to as stuck. Sorry for the confusion. I do quite a bit of outdoor shows and they get wet at times. I was wondering if a light oil might be OK.

I suspect you might have sand or grit in them.

wash with mild soap solution.

rinse with distilled water.

blow with compressed air.

then let dry.

if they are not deformed from abuse or just worn out this might help.

I would replace them if you don't get it functioning smoothly, quickly. They cost about $4-6 from the supply house- depending on what kind of deal you get. If it got wet you might want to cut off the first few inches of cable anyways in case of oxidation.

I suspect you might have sand or grit in them.

wash with mild soap solution.

rinse with distilled water.

blow with compressed air.

then let dry.

if they are not deformed from abuse or just worn out this might help.

+1

Lubrication won't help much, as metal on plastic interfaces (like between the body and the locking tab) already have reasonably low coefficients of friction.

ACF-50 is a good alternative to WD-40.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

It is a light lubricant and corrosion inhibitor that does not contain chlorinated hydrocarbons. As far as I know it is safe on all plastics and metals. I use it all the time on my plane and other stuff. Stay away from WD-40 for anything more critical than suspension bolts under your truck. And even for that there likely are better products (Mouse Milk, Liquid Wrench).

Good luck on the jammed connectors.

--Frank

Since the release button is on the shell, and the shell can be removed... I suggest removing the shell(s), and simply give the shell (and release button) a good bath in hot soapy water and a hot-hot water rinse, then blow them off with an airhose (while still hot from the rinse), and reassemble.

Since the release button is on the shell, and the shell can be removed... I suggest removing the shell(s), and simply give the shell (and release button) a good bath in hot soapy water and a hot-hot water rinse, then blow them off with an airhose (while still hot from the rinse), and reassemble.

This cured the problem. Three were caked with dirt. I'm going to start doing this after each rain delay...LOL