Studio Manager channel copy

Ok, must be a senior moment... I hate that.

I am moving some channels for an upcoming gig. I want to copy them to the new locations so the EQ and Dynamics are preserved. The desk is packed so I can't use it (that I remember how to do).

How can I do this in SM?

Oh, in case it matters, this is the LS9 editor.

Re: Studio Manager channel copy

Ive run into a similar issue and I just opened the file in SM and took screen shots of the extended channel views so I could be able to rebuild the file from scratch. i learned a lot about setting up the console to make working on different levels easier and starting over was the best option for me. Also a good way to store channels for catastrophic prevention.

SM doesn't have the copy channel function that you have on the desk itself.

I set-up the desk so that 1-16 are the most used channels and that 17-32 are things that I don't have to get to that often such as hat, toms and overheads.

Ive run into a similar issue and I just opened the file in SM and took screen shots of the extended channel views so I could be able to rebuild the file from scratch. i learned a lot about setting up the console to make working on different levels easier and starting over was the best option for me. Also a good way to store channels for catastrophic prevention.

SM doesn't have the copy channel function that you have on the desk itself.

I set-up the desk so that 1-16 are the most used channels and that 17-32 are things that I don't have to get to that often such as hat, toms and overheads.

I have a console file for one band I do and I had them packed into the first 16 channels. I decided I wanted to extend them into 24 and so move the vocals from 14-16 to 21-24. This gives me room for another vocal as well as some more instruments and a few more percussion channels.
I have done several shows with them and have the EQs where I like em and would rather not develop them from scratch since one of the big advantages of the digital desk is saving that stuff from show to show.

I guess I gotta dig out the desk and set it up. The good news is the show for this band isn't for a while yet.

Ok, must be a senior moment... I hate that.

I am moving some channels for an upcoming gig. I want to copy them to the new locations so the EQ and Dynamics are preserved. The desk is packed so I can't use it (that I remember how to do).

How can I do this in SM?

Oh, in case it matters, this is the LS9 editor.

Is there a channel library on the LS9 like there is on the M7 or the 01V96 Editor? I don't have the LS9 Editor loaded on my setup so I can't go in and check it, but I just went and copied a few channels in both the M7 and 01V96 and pasted them in another location.

It is a few extra steps than simply copy and paste, but it will give you quick access to a starting point if you need to move something again in the future.

Jon

Edit: Just loaded the LS9 Editor into my computer and apparently it doesn't have a library for the entire channel so you would have to copy the eq and dynamics into a library and then transfer the routing from one channel to the other. You can open two different channels with the selected channel and the additional view windows, put them side by side, and then transfer one to the other. May be easier to do it on the board when you get the chance!

Last edited:

If you use the Group/Link window and you link CH1 and CH18 the EQ, AUX settings etc of CH1 will be copied to CH18. Then just unlink them. Its kind of a work around but it works. It doesn't appear to transfer the dynamics though.

EDIT: I tried it again and it did transfer the dynamics.

Last edited:

If you don't mind mucking about an .xml file there is a utility at guessmer.de wiki | OpenMix / OpenMix called "OpenMixTools". It will allow the user to export the SM file to .xml, edit this .xml file and save it. Import the edited .xml back into "OpenMixTools" and save it as a Studio Manager file. It wouldn't hurt to open this file in SM and re-save it just to be sure the syntax is right.

One caveat, OMT may not work in the most recent LS9 SM. YMMV .....

If you use the Group/Link window and you link CH1 and CH18 the EQ, AUX settings etc of CH1 will be copied to CH18. Then just unlink them. Its kind of a work around but it works. It doesn't appear to transfer the dynamics though.

EDIT: I tried it again and it did transfer the dynamics.

I expect you have to make sure the dynamics boxes are highlighted on the pairing page, in order to copy all the parameters. There is no choice to pair the pan, so that's one edit you'd have to make afterwards.

I originally thought this would be a PITA to accomplish the channel copying, but after doing a little editing to a file last night for a show this weekend, it may be a fairly simple way after all.

GTD

Sometimes I have to copy a channel several times for all of the sections (HA, Dynamics, EQ) to copy.

I recently had an odd one that I must try to reproduce, and send in a bug report. I think this was the chain of events:

chs 3 and 4 were linked in a saved scene.

I unlinked 3 and 4.

I copied ch 1 to ch 3, and I copied ch2 to ch 4.

The console linked ch1 to ch3, and linked ch 2 to ch 4! BUT these links were not displayed on the links page. After saving the console to a stick or PC (I forget which) the links went away. After some use, the links came back (but still not displayed on the links page).