Sub advice... once again...

So I'm looking into getting some new subs. My choices aren't necessarily just limited to these three, but this is what I have found recently, all for nearly the same money... either:

4x - JBL SR4719X
-or-
4x - Yorkville TX9
-or-
2x - Danley TH215

I just want to get opinions on these, as I have no personal experience mixing on any of them. That said, here is what i know... the JBL's I have heard plenty of times, and I know if I power them right, I'll be plenty happy. The Yorkville's I've heard once or twice and they sounded pretty good to me, but I realy don't know how they stack up to the SR-X when A/B'd. And the Danley, I've never heard but I know their reputation. Also about the Danley, I would love to be able to have two boxes that will output as much as 4 of the other, but I guess I am being very skeptical on whether 2 boxes can hang with 4. So some of you that have much more experience with any of these boxes, what are your opinions?

Re: Sub advice... once again...

I will have (2) TX9's coming in this week, so I can tell you what I think of them when they arrive.
I am going from EV QRX218's to the TX9.
I have heard plenty of the 4719 cabs and they always sound decent, I think the SRX728 is a better choice if you are going JBL.

Thats all I have for now, but give me a few days and I can tell you what I think of the TX9's.

Hi Donny-

It looks like you're about 130 miles from Atlanta... you might want to arrange a demo at the Danley shop. Mike & Ivan can audition several things for you (including a couple you might not be allowed to talk about, nudge nudge, wink wink) that will rock your world.

FWIW, John Chiara was selling 4 TH215 on the PSW site but the savings might be offset by the shipping from NY.

That all said, I have zero experience with the Yorkies and only memories of the JBLs so I can't offer a comparative opinion.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I thought Danley stopped making the TH215? I love that box. On paper it's not "much" better than the TH115, but when you really start using it the extra driver is apparent. It's pretty small and light, too.

Yes- the TH215 is one of the very few discontinued Danley products. Basically it is replaced by the TH118. The price is/was the same, the TH118 outperforms the TH215.

I think (I could be wrong) you can still order them on special order-but it is not a regular item anymore.

I thought Danley stopped making the TH215? I love that box. On paper it's not "much" better than the TH115, but when you really start using it the extra driver is apparent. It's pretty small and light, too.

Bennett - 100% with ya! The TH-215 was an amazing "sounding" sub from the sub shootout in NYC. To say it was musical would be an understatement. If I could have carried them into the subway with me that night, Ivan might have gone home without them!

The SR4719 would be my first pick. With some EQ, they can bump pretty good. The TX9 suffers from port chuffing, and it gets really bad at high SPL. Never heard the TH215, but if it's like other Danley products, it'll be the best sounding of the bunch. Whether or not 2 would keep up with 4 of the others is something I do not know.

Evan

Go with the Danley subs. You can always add more to increase output, but you can't add sound quality to the other options.

I haven't heard the JBL's, but the times I heard the TX9's, I wasn't impressed - and I was really into Yorkville at the time.

All of the subs you have mentioned will definitely do the job......I would also like to nominate the VR218....I have 8 now and could not be happier with my low end. Those 8 are keeping up with 20 boxes of line array just fine :)

Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, Danley, ......

and danley.

Ok, so I'm a little adamant. But, going along with what Tim said, I think a trip down to hang out with the Danley crew would be most beneficial to you.

I've never met them, and I've only used their subs on occasion, but there is something to be said about a brand that doesn't advertise in every medium possible, and yet still creates a product that gets rave reviews from everyone that uses it. You don't know me more than a name on this forum, but let this name at least say... Danley.

:p