Subwoofers with 30hz performance.

Re: Subwoofers with 30hz performance.

Apart from the Danley stuff and...there is no other choice if you want realistic -3 db at 30hz performance in the real world?

I corrected that for you. Just my biased opinion, based on many years of working with Tom, and comparing and using different brands.

A new close second comes from another Servodrive alumni, Jeff at JTR Speakers has a new Captivator Pro that is pretty impressive below 30hz.

Best regards,

John

The VerTec 4880A is -3dB @ 29Hz, -10dB @ 25Hz. My trouser legs tell me it's 'more infra' than a 4880 despite a 1Hz difference in corner freqs.

For smaller scale rigs JTR is has the Captivator Pro, which looks quite interesting. I'm not sure if they're available yet, though.

http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/captivator-pro/

That actually looks pretty decent compared to the very low sensitivity original captivator (more of a home theater sub I think).

I just hope that the sensitivity measurement at 2.83 volts was taken in 8-ohm mode, because if it was in 2-ohm mode, the sensitivity is being strongly overrated. Still, 91dB at 20Hz isn't bad at all.

That actually looks pretty decent compared to the very low sensitivity original captivator (more of a home theater sub I think).

I just hope that the sensitivity measurement at 2.83 volts was taken in 8-ohm mode, because if it was in 2-ohm mode, the sensitivity is being strongly overrated. Still, 91dB at 20Hz isn't bad at all.
That spec appears to be about 6 dB too high, it is not possible for a “massive excursion 18” in a BR box only 30”x20” x 22.5” with an Fb of 20 Hz to achieve 100dB at 60 Hz and 91 dB at 20 Hz.

JTR’s sub specs do appear internally consistant, however.

The Bassmaxx SP-218 is a serious monster with a low corner below 30 Hz. I'm more of a horn-loaded fan, but if I was going to purchase some front-loaded boxes, these are the ones I would buy.

Pascal,

The Bassmaxx SP-218 looks to have a low corner about 36 Hz, it is about 12 dB down at 26 Hz from 100 Hz.
Good compromise frequency for decent LF without a huge efficiency hit.

Looking at the response curve, looks like Fb is around 36 Hz, I wouldn't expect huge output below that as the speaker's excursion will no longer linearly increase with additional power when driven below Fb.

In other words, at low power, the response will look like the curve, at high power, the response below 36 Hz will look less relative to the upper response.

Art

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 4

Corner definitely appears to be higher than my memory served up, but first-hand experience with those subs seemed to feel much lower then the numerous 40Hz corner subs I'm familiar with. I wonder which generation that measurement is from. They went through a few revisions before they settled with their production model. I'll see if I can get an update from Bassmaxx.

Art I finally got those pics for you. Will be in touch shortly!

Pascal,

The Bassmaxx SP-218 looks to have a low corner about 36 Hz, it is about 12 dB down at 26 Hz from 100 Hz.
Good compromise frequency for decent LF without a huge efficiency hit.

Looking at the response curve, looks like Fb is around 36 Hz, I wouldn't expect huge output below that as the speaker's excursion will no longer linearly increase with additional power when driven below Fb.

In other words, at low power, the response will look like the curve, at high power, the response below 36 Hz will look less relative to the upper response.

Art

Art, what would be considered "high power" in this case? In other words, if you measure this sub at 1 watt and got this response, at what power would you want to measure it to see how the response changes in regards to the low freq output?

I've not heard it, but the McCauley M421, on paper, says that it performs down to 20hZ. Has anyone heard it? All of my work lately has been dealing with 700HPs, which I won't complain about.
I have not heard it, but at 486 pounds, 23.1 x 73.4 x 44 inches deep, using 12,000 to 24,000 watts, I'd expect it does go deep and loud.

Art, what would be considered "high power" in this case? In other words, if you measure this sub at 1 watt and got this response, at what power would you want to measure it to see how the response changes in regards to the low freq output?
Tim,

After looking at data Josh Ricci’s provided on his 25 Hz Fb 21” cabinet

( Data Bass.com )

http://www.data-bass.com/blog

a second time I realize the response below Fb changes very little relative to the upper response at high power if an adequate port size is used.

That said, below Fb, most speaker designs will exceed Xmax at less than full rated power, so a HP filter must be engaged to keep excursion (and distortion) from becoming excessive at full rated speaker power.

Therefore the LF response with a properly set HP will be a bit less than a raw response chart taken at a fraction of full power.

I have heard the giant Mc 421 sub/horn thingy. Its loud and low, just not loud and low for its wieght. I know that the servodrive bt7 will do sub 30hz and the EAW sb2001/2 comes pretty close.

I think I would rather just have a stack of vertec dual 18's and be done with it.