Suggested mic for round table discussion

Jared Koopman

Junior
Jun 13, 2012
Colorado
What would you suggest for a round table discussion for a live audience? Will a single mic(boundary perhaps) that would be sufficient for 6-8 people? Looking for specific mic suggestions. I don't have a specified budget yet just looking at options.

Or would I be better off with several mics?

Jared

Re: Suggested mic for round table discussion

Jared,

Can you give us more detail on the positioning of the people communicating in this roundtable?

If this is informal, I actually prefer a wired SM58 without a stand to be passed between people; it forces them to hold it close to their mouth (don't turn up the mic to compensate for poor technique). Otherwise, a few cardioid mics (dynamic or condenser) can work well - goosenecks are particularly useful since they can get the element closer to the source (read: better GBF).

I would go with individual mics, assuming this is for a live production with an audience you'll have better GBF, you can eq each mic for the person speaking in to it and with boundary mics on the table they could pick up noise from people hitting the table or even get covered up with papers.

What would you suggest for a round table discussion for a live audience? Will a single mic(boundary perhaps) that would be sufficient for 6-8 people? Looking for specific mic suggestions. I don't have a specified budget yet just looking at options.

Jared

As has been said a mic per person but I will add and then use an automixer. I am about to do a panel discussion on Wednesday and I wouldn’t think of doing it without an automixer.

Jared

loads of tele conf mics out there. And the system behind them automate the speakers location and auto mixes to it.
You will need some interface for some systems.

http://www.clearone.com/products_ceiling_microphone_array
http://www.polycom.com/products-ser...resence-accessories/hdx-microphone-array.html
http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/LFH9172_00/-
http://www.tvps.com/Products/SoundT...CM-1000.aspx?gclid=CI7EgarDksICFUEV7Aod6HAA5g

DPA 4066/88 depending on the room and if I have sufficient time to mount the mics properly on the speakers.

4066 gives a more natural sound, 88 more GBF, but it is very placement sensitive, it has a small sweetspot.

The one mic approach rarely works IME.

I've only used a stationary single mic for recording or for a live broadcast - pretty much useless for feeding a PA in the same room.

As has been said a mic per person but I will add and then use an automixer. I am about to do a panel discussion on Wednesday and I wouldn’t think of doing it without an automixer.

Ditto on the multiples with an automixer. If your stuck using dynamics go with regular 57's on desk stands as they seem to have a larger pattern in my experience than 58's. You'll be ok as long as someone doesn't eat them which is pretty rare in panel discussions. If you have the option to use condensers any cardoid variety should do the trick as long as they are all the same and you have some sort of pop filter/windscreen. Eq the mics for feedback with a group eq that the mics are summed to, apply high passes for each channel at 100hz or higher. Go grab a coffee and your off to the races. U can rent an automixer from Dan Dugan himself or locate one nearby. Should be in the $100.00 dollar per day range. U will never go back to panel discussions without one guaranteed.