Sweet How its Made

Re: Sweet How its Made

Am I the only one surprised that they manually roll out the glue and laminate each piece of wood? for the amount of wood they must go through I'd figure they'd have some sort of machine for that

Jason

Legit cases are made with split rivets vs compression rivets shown here. Much different assembly process and significantly more durable...that is what separates the big boys from the weekend warrior gear.

Shawn - can you explain? I tried looking up split rivets and only saw examples of someone using a screwdriver and then a hammer to splay and then flatten the two "forks." Interested to learn more. Thanks.

Shawn - can you explain? I tried looking up split rivets and only saw examples of someone using a screwdriver and then a hammer to splay and then flatten the two "forks." Interested to learn more. Thanks.

Yup, that is exactly what a split rivet is...rather than a typical rivet that just expands and holds itself in with compression inside the hole or on the other side of the hole (aka: pop rivet), the spit rivet has two "forks" that bend out and back up...but it takes making contact on both sides of the rivet with force vs just pulling through a mandrill on one side like a typical rivet.

In case manufacturing, it takes pretty beefy machine like the one below...which is one reason high quality cases are much more expensive...it is more labor intensive but their strength is incredibly stronger than a extruded aluminum with compression rivets. Look inside any high quality case and you will see the "forks" bent over in the wood which locks everything together. Tops of the split rivets are smooth and will not have the hole.

Weekend warriors may not tell the difference, but professional road crews with day in and day out heavy use will see them fall apart MUCH faster if you go with the cheaper option. I have Janal cases that are almost 20 years old that were twice the price of cheap-o brands but they are still going strong where I had an EWI case that did not last three months when fully loaded with cable. Buy once cry once.

At one point I had a full fabrication shop and we started making our own cases. We stopped because I could not match the strength of Anvil and Janal cases without a significant investment in proper tooling...mainly the split rivet machine that was large enough to assemble a road case.

Even more local case manufactures are just going with compression rivets...it is a cheaper and easier way to make and assemble cases but not nearly as strong as a split rivet design. Just had a buddy boast about his custom cable trunk prices he was getting after copying our setup...I was impressed till I saw their construction.

That is why Anvil, Calzone and Janal cases are so dang expensive to have made.

w88-600.jpg

SplitRivet.jpg

Last edited:

R&R Cases uses compression rivets aka pop rivets, and usually we have to ask them to lighten up their cases for the rental instead of touring market. No complaints about the durability, and we've got some 10-20 year old cases from them.

Heck of a lot easier to replace a broken latch or handle, too.

I would think that the strongest would be a pop rivet with a washer on the inside - the next best thing to a screw and nut.

Good quality split rivets are steel. Pop rivets are typically aluminum. It takes a force press to properly set a split rivet...pop rivets can be put in with a hand gun.

Good quality split rivets are steel. Pop rivets are typically aluminum. It takes a force press to properly set a split rivet...pop rivets can be put in with a hand gun.
Pop rivets are also available in stainless steel, they require at least double the force to "pop" than aluminum, although not as strong as a split rivet, never had one fail.

One important distinction other than strength is the pop rivet has a hole through it, while a split rivet is sealed, providing better environmental protection.