switching between House and Monitor mixing on a digital mixer

Weogo Reed

Freshman
Jan 4, 2012
Western North Carolina
Hi Folks,

I commonly mix House and Monitors on one mixer, with one tablet.
On my current digital mixers I double-assign one preamp to two channels, one for House, one for Monitors.
Other than shared gain, this provides separate House and Monitor mixers.

Right now, with one app, to go from the L/R House mix to a Monitor mix to adjust a fader, and back to the L/R mix, I have to do EIGHT taps.
The Yamaha LS9 can do this in four taps.

Is there a digital mixer with a tablet app that has the L/R Master and all Auxes viewable/selectable all the time?
And I can assign only channels I want to see to the L/R Master, and any Aux?
This would mean one tap to select Aux-1(or any other Aux), adjust Monitor faders, and
a second tap to go back to the L/R mix and House channels.

Are there any mixers/apps that can do this in two taps?

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Re: switching between House and Monitor mixing on a digital mixer

Hi Shane,

Since I would need one tap to get back to bank 1-8 and a second to get to the L/R mix I would call that a total of five taps to get in and adjust a monitor fader and back out to the L/R mix. Still, better than the eight on my DL32R.

Hey, Weogo -

You might download the X32 Editor and take a look at the "assignable controls" section, which has 12 assignable encoders and 24 assignable buttons with multiple functions available (4 encoders + 8 buttons in 3 banks). Running monitors can entail a number of actions and setups depending on your channel needs... 32 main + 32 monitors into 12 mixes is not the same as 16 channels of 4 mixes.

What are your hardware needs? How many channels & mixes? What are your most common adjustments, ie., sends on faders, channel/mix view, channel or mix fader adjustments, channel or mix processing/eq adjustments, graphics on mixes, etc? Mixing on surface, tablet, laptop? Using the surface plus app/editor simultaneously can be very efficient.

Peace,

-Tim T

Hi Shane,

Since I would need one tap to get back to bank 1-8 and a second to get to the L/R mix I would call that a total of five taps to get in and adjust a monitor fader and back out to the L/R mix. Still, better than the eight on my DL32R.

You just hit the DCA tab and you are back to where you 'should' be doing your mixing!

With AirFader for 01v96 its from L/R faders home page. One tap to go to Aux by pushing Sends tab. ( Last Aux selected comes up ) Maybe another Tap if a different Aux mix is needed. Then Home again. 3 taps or 2 if you come up to the Aux you need from the last time.
The Custom Button from home brings you to a page where you can have a mix of Input faders and output Master faders. User assignable.
Although I don't think you can have Aux send faders on this.
There is an Aux,Stereo return, and L/R masters tab as well.

Windows server can have as many channels on the screen as your PC can support/view.
Client (ipad/android etc) has them in fader layers of 8 with swipe or button to each bank.
I believe LS9 is supported by Airfader.

Douglas R. Allen

EDIT: If I was to use 1-16 as Mains then 17-32 for monitors as you do sharing preamps then it would be 1 tap for 17-32 bank to mix monitors then another tap to get back to back. That is of course if I only needed 1 monitor mix. Its easier/quicker to use Sends tab if different eq/dynamic's is not needed in the monitor mix.

Last edited:

Hi Tim,
I'll spend some more time with the X32app looking at the assignable buttons and controllers.

Years ago I did bigger shows, sometimes maxxing out a 46 channel Midas XL250 and 40 channel Soundcraft monitor board, up to eight monitor mixes.
Over the past couple years I haven't had a show with more than 20 inputs and six mixes.

I still work on an 01V96 in one venue but am about done with having to carry a dedicated laptop or deal with laptop issues.
I would like to work on one Ipad, though I always carry a spare.

I mix house and monitors on one mixer, one Ipad.
Most common changes at the start of the night are tweaking mixes and house with an audience.
Later it mostly just house mixing, subs on an aux, effects.

Hi John C. and Shane,
I'm not following your "hit the DCA tab" instruction. Can you please elaborate?
Is this on the DL32R or another mixer?

Douglas,
As you know I'm a big fan of the 01V96 and still own one.
But more of my shows these days need recallable preamps.
The LS9 is in the running for one venue upgrade and I'll take another look at AirFader.

With the Presonus Universal Control App it's 2 button pushes.

One push to choose your monitor mix, the vertical row of mix buttons 1-16. In the pic mix 1&2 are linked.

Make the channek fader adjustment. The fader to the left of the mix buttons is its main level for the selected monitor mix.

Press the main mix and you're back. The app is available on iTunes to check out.

X32 is 3 hits.
1- select channel bank 17-24
2- sends on fader button
3- select appropriate mix to adjust

With a real console you can have the monitor mixes, so 8 buses at a time on the right hand of the console.

Then it's only send on faders button.
correct mix bus
adjust volume

When done with adjusting all monitor mixes, it's the choice to go back to DCA or whatever else...

So 2 taps.

With a real console you can have the monitor mixes, so 8 buses at a time on the right hand of the console.

Then it's only send on faders button.
correct mix bus
adjust volume

When done with adjusting all monitor mixes, it's the choice to go back to DCA or whatever else...

So 2 taps.

He's talking about an app though, not console moves...

The DL32 app is a lot easier than 8 taps! From the main mix screen look at the right side where it says mix! Touch white block with "LR", one tap! Now you should see A1-A14, touch one and you're in a monitor mix! That's two taps! When in the monitor mix you do the same, touch the "A1", that's third tap then when mixes pop up, touch "LR" that's tap four! You should be back to main mix!